Help with 'Waterfall' Japanese maple

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

My dog went barreling through my Japanese maple chasing a squirrel and broke off a large limb. My first thought was that it was simply spilt milk and I didn't cry; but given the size of the branch, I was hoping someone might be able to help me at least get some rooted cuttings out of this situation. It's an entire branch with lots of young growth, but, given the time of the year of course, none is green. Is there any hope for not simply just tossing this out?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry, they need to be grafted.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

If it had been your kid you could chain him in the basement for a few years and feed him gruel; or if it had been the neighbor's kid you could have dismembered him and hid the parts in the freezer. But dogs and squirrels don't know any better -- they're just having that old joey day vivery!

Maybe you can bring the branch in and force it for a bouquet. Beyond that, make sure the break is properly trimmed, and don't regret what you can't undo.

Guy S.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I think I may try grafting it to this dog's hind leg. That might slow him down. :) (Not!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Or shove it up his....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.