I need your input, please!

Mc Call Creek, MS

I finally talked DH into letting me plant vines on the veggie garden fence. The problem is that it is in FULL sun. We have very high humidity and our hot summer days average in the high 90s. Here is a list of vines that I need to plant. Which ones can take this environment?

Rangoon Creeper
Passiflora Alata Ruby Glow
Passiflora Vitafolia
Passiflora Lady Margaret
Pasiflora Tulae
Passiflora Violacea
Passiflora Serrato Digitata
Passiflora Helleri
Bow Tie Vine
Black Eyed Susan Vine
Clitorea Ternatea
Aristolochia Fimbriata
Aristolochia Gigantea
Clematis (various kinds....one of them is Rouge Cardinal...don't know the names of the others)
Thunbergia Laurifolia
Thunbergia Grandifolia
Thunbergia Alata
Thunbergia Coccinea
Thunbergia Battiescombei
Mina Lobata

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Kay

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Hi Kay...

Black Eyed Susan Vine
Clitorea Ternatea
Passiflora Vitafolia

I know for a fact that these will grow good in those conditions as I have grown them under the same conditions.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Clitoria will do great but will have heavy woody vine to take down in winter. It will cover the whole fence. Good choice as it is Skipper food and will be so beautiful

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hey! From my best buddies! Thanks y'all.

I'm thinking of a get together here when the iris and the white wisteria are both blooming.......I'm guessing late April or early May.

That iris bed might not be weeded, but I really want you to see it.

Trish, are any of yours blooming yet? I've got one bloom and several buds. Donna, you can grow these where you are now if you want them next time I divide mine. Can you find a place where they can get full sun all day?

Anybody else have info on any of the vines in full sun?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Kay

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Kay... Early May would work better for me.

The irises are up.. lots of green but no show of bloom spike yet. I sure hope they bloom as the bouquet that you brought Donna last year was stunning.

The clematis will probably get leaf scorch and look ugly in the full sun you are suggesting.. mine get morning sun and afternoon shade and still struggle. Don't forget to shade the root ball system wherever you put them

Mc Call Creek, MS

Trish, May will work.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Summers here are brutal: near 100% humidity, actual temps in 90'sF, effective temps as high as 114F last summer. It may seem counter-intuitive but I have several clematis (large flower) growing and blooming like crazy on the SSW side of a privacy fence in full sun (no trees in sight). They are: Elsa Spathe, Wada's Primrose, MultiBlue, and Duchess of Edinburg. Elsa blooms 2x/year. Wada's (http://www.davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/99711/) cloaks herself in wall to wall blooms in late spring. The Duchess blooms almost all year and has spawned a few children around her perimiter. I recorded her last bloom Dec 16, 05 and she is about to open her 1st blooms of 06. As I have a crowded cottage garden, their feet (about 1' high) are very well shaded, but they are otherwise basking in the hot, hot, punishing sunshine for most of the day.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

my pink and white clematis is growing in full sun. a few of my mina lobatas have been in full sun before too. i know here the nursery has the blue flowered thungbergia in full sun and it does well too.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Scutler, I'm surprised how hot and humid y'all get. That sounds pretty much like our climate...except a lot of times, like last summer, we won't have a drop of rain for months.

I wish I knew the names of my clematis. I got them all at Walmart, and like all Walmart flowers, I'm sure most of them were misnamed anyway. I might must try mulching them heavily and giving them a try on that fence.

Imzadi, are the mina lobatas pretty? I'm growing them from seed. The seedlings look like morning glory seeds.

Thank you both for your information.

Kay

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Gaylams,

It is positively sweltering here in summer. A few years ago I left a plastic mechanical pencil on the dash of my car and it MELTED. We are right on the ocean. If you look at the zone map, there is a small area of Zone 8 on the SC coast - same as the hotest parts of MS. In fact, I have seen some newer maps that show a narrow band of 9 here (which better reflects our winter temps). I have a philodendron selloum (zone 10) that has lived outside since 2001 and an aglaonema (Zone 11) that has lived 3 yrs on the patio.

And the humidity is SO high here that my house looks like a frosty beer mug for most of the summer, and when I 1st go outside I have to wait 10 -15 minutes before I can use my camera or see through my glasses.

If you look at the Wada's Primrose link, you can see that it is in the sun and the only shade on the plant is that caused by its own flowers. I have several more clematis in my front yard which faces South with no shade. I don't know that the cultivars I listed are any more heat/sun tolerant than any others. I just listed the them FYI.

Best of luck with your fence. (BTW, I had a lovely Sweet Autumn Clematis that covered some 25' of the fence - but had to remove it because it was not content to just stay on the fence.)

Mc Call Creek, MS

I had no idea your climate was that hot and humid! If you can grow clematis there in the sun, then I can grow them here in the sun!

When we lived in Lacombe, LA (just across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans), sweet autumn clematis grew all out in the woods and up the pine trees. One came up volunteer and ran down my deck railing. It was beautiful....reminded me of wedding.

Do you have wisteria and cherokee rose hanging around on all the trees, and do you have spanish moss?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That's why I had to respond when I saw your question. It seems we have very similiar climates. As for LA, several times I've seen pics from LA swamps and plantations on the net and swore that was Charleston. Almost everything here is covered in Spanish moss. The pic below is of a crepe myrtle down the street from my house.I even have moss in my shrubs and roses.

I live in the historic garden district. The main road is a 2 lane road (that can not be widened because the trees are protected by law). It is lined with those old, old oaks interspersed with magnolias all of which form a low, dense canopy overhead and drip Spanish moss down toward the cars below. It makes for a wonderfully stress reducing ride home from work. I do so want to get a photo but the road is so narrow and so heavily traveled and the trees are too close to permit a "shoulder" so there is just no way to stop or pull over. Portions of this road and the nearby section of Interstate are positively "lavendar" with wisteria for a few weeks in spring. (That drives me crazy, too, because I LOVE the look but can't figure out how to get a photo of either this road or the interstate!)

Yes, we have that white rose along the roads, too. I didn't know it's name. We also have magnolias every few feet in the forest, esp the the Southern Magnolia with the big white flower (your state flower, i believe) and sweet bay magnolia.

As for the clematis, I think you can get away with it. My yard is almost 100% full sun and is great for growing flowers...but rough on the gardener. Actually, the 4 clematis I mentioned have grown bigger and faster and boast many times more flowers than the ones that were planted at the same time but in partial shade. Here is a link to the sweet autumn clematis that was growing on the same SSW fence before I was forced to remove it before it covered the entire yard (http://www.davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/59127/).

Good luck, looking forward to seeing pics of the fence with flowers.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Mc Call Creek, MS

Yep, that all sounds so familiar and so lovely! Those are the things I miss about Lacombe. However, although we had a two-acre yard, it was so wooded, I had trouble growing things because of the lack of sunlight. Also the water table was so high, you had to mound up the soil to plant anything. Otherwise it would drown.

Here we are on a hill (red clay) in full sun, and everything grows like a weed.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I only have 1/2 acre, and "shade" is not a problem because the builder bull-dozed all of the trees in the subdivision (including all of the aged oaks and magnolias that clearly would be here since we are just off the road mentioned above. : (
My yard is 99% sun, great for flowers, rough on the gardener. Sometimes I dream of moving to the country and getting a larger place but then I remember that I can't even keep up with the garden I have. It is wet here. Depending on the source, we are either AT sea level or a foot or so below. We have the "white/grey" clay. The 1st 2 years I had several tons of compost brought in to amend the soil; that also helped with the drainage. I also have some kind of drainage pipes underground, French drain or something like that.
Today while I was out in the garden I snapped a quick photo just to show you one of the clematis plants sitting in the sun. (not an attractive pic as things are just getting started) this is duchess growing in a rose bush. . In the picture you can see the bright sunlight from the shadows thrown by the plant itself on the fence.

Also, today I was out running errands around town in my car and, incredibly, I got a light sun burn on my left (window side) leg - while wearing long pants! This is especially incredible since I tan easily and virtually never burn. So, yes, it IS hot here - already.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Mc Call Creek, MS

You've sold me! Those clematis are going on the fence in the sun. I'll probably put pine straw over their roots.

That clematis on your fence looks very healthy!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Gaylams...
Well given full sun here is softer than yours might be.. but Lady Margret is a kind of weak grower/ flowerer here... in full sun.. she does fine.. but in a small way.... but many of the passafloras are rampant growers in the sun... with long dry spells.. as as a vine will seek out it's sun by nature..
Why not add some cypress vines.. all my seeds are from MS vines.. they grow so splendedly there and here in full sun.. a light feathery leaf form..good for it being dry.. and flowers all of the time .. in Pink , Red or White.. although quite small.. one of my favorites...
you understand anything you plant on your fence will soon be flowering on the south side of the fence.. Gordon

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rangoon Creepers-- the hotter it is the better they like it.
rj

Mc Call Creek, MS

LOL They ought to do great then, because we will definitely be hot.

I put my plumerias on white gravel against a west-facing brick wall that soaks up the sun all day. They LOVE it!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm..I'll keep that in mind, I just pulled mine out of the green house and am thinking of making a plumeria bed in the front. Pretty soon, there'll be no grass left!!

Mc Call Creek, MS

I LIKE that idea! You will never have to mow grass again!

Honestly, are plants something! Three years ago I hung two petunia baskets on our gravel patio. Our patio is now well on its way to being completely sodded with purple petunias. We walk on them and drag the water hose across them, and they just keep going.

They are growing in a thick layer of white gravel on top of hard red clay.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds like how my impasiens are finding their way around the back yard. When I want to make a hanging basked for impasiens..I just look around for the newbies in the back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.