Tigger Melon

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I got the seeds from Baker - never tried these before. Normally, I'd just plant seeds directly, but am going to try the straw bale method for my in-laws space due to their physical limitations. Has anyone pre-started these rather than direct sow? Thank you!

Dea

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I haven't grown that variety before, but was just looking at it a couple days ago. I was interested in the Tigger because of it's small size. I'd love to cut a melon and use it all up, having none left over to have to worry about storing in fridge.

I'll keep watching this thread to see how they do. Maybe I'll try them next summer.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

The fruits are vibrant yellow with fire engine red zigzag stripes (a few fruit may be solid yellow). The fragrance is powerful, similar to Queen Anne’s, but Tigger produces heavy yields of 1 lb melons perfect for a single serving, and the white flesh is semi-sweet and tastes like a cantaloupe. Unique variety for specialty markets. 85 - 90 days.

Tigger melons are softball-sized, single-serving melons with an "intoxicating aroma" and white flesh that is sweeter in drier climates, according to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Missouri. The melons were discovered in an Armenian mountain valley.

Seed Savers Exchange also is offering Tigger melon seeds this year. The heirloom melons swell on vines like gaudy Christmas ornaments.

This heirloom variety does well in dry conditions.
The white flesh gets sweeter in dry climates.

I'm starting mine indoors in the first week of June.

These are some of my test seeds below:

~* Robin

Thumbnail by NatureWalker
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Robin for all the info. I'll go ahead and start them inside and take pics as we go through the season.

Dea

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Great. They sound like the ticket. I bet they would trellis good too since they are so small. Maybe I should try them this summer after all.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 9:10 PM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Just needed to hear from someone who has tried them, since all the reviews I've read said they weren't very sweet. But with our usual drought in August, they should be sweet enough. Thanks

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 9:12 PM

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm growing some too. Let's compare notes aftr the season

BB

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I am growing them as well, and live in a very dry climate. So mine should be sweeeeet!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Good deal everyone - will be taking pics and bites :)

Dea

Hi folks
i was going to go for the Tigger melon but opted for the quenn Anne, i was going to use them just an ornamental plant with my flower bed to add aroma.
naturewalker have you done this melon before? if it vines can it be trellised? like the tiger, i got mine from Seed Savers ,but growing instructions ar a bit vague.
thanks
sue

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

** I grow them upwards on a tomato cage. They do just fine... especially with a little pantyhose cradling them like a sling! LOL!

I have a few seeds to spare of Tigger; so when your envelope gets here Sue, I'll put them in for you. Now remember; they're for Human consumption! Don't let them grow near the "Queen Anne's Pocket" melon, or they'll be bitter too (due to cross pollination!

~* Robin

i have wondered that , i was thinking quenn Anne in the front yard and the tigger in the back? we aare on a 1.5 acres so it is a bit away from one another.
thanks again Robin
i can tast them in my dreams already yuuuummmmm.
best wishes
sue

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The current generation will be okay, but they can cross and give you mixed offspring in a couple of generations. From what I've heard, they're highly fragrant and beautiful, but terribly bland in cool or wet weather.

yes the queen anne i m just using as a ornamental for fragrance, in flower bed.
thanks
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.