Growing osmanthus fragrans from seed.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I didn't get back much information on the Propogation forum, so I'm checking here. I have seeds for Osmanthus fragrans, and I see that they can take a *very* long time to germinate... years, in fact. Has anyone done this? Is there something I can do to speed the process? I'm willing to experiment: boiling water, hydrogen peroxide, the old nick&soak, "smoke treatment," whatever. I can't find any information about this.

Thanks.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

This way the only info I could find on the subject. If you have enough seed I would try a few seeds in each method you describe above. Ive had the best luck with H2O2 and hot water but Ive never tried smoke?? Sorry I could'nt be of more help but its all I can do to keep the ones I have alive each year. Mine are always ugly with brown tips Im sure they hate me but they always flower so I put up with them LOL!.

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a coldframe[200]. Stored seed probably germinates best if it is given 3 months warm then 3 months cold stratification before sowing[113]. The seed usually takes 6 - 18 months to germinate, it should be pricked out into individual pots when it is large enough to handle. Grow the plants on for their first winter in the greenhouse and plant them out in early summer Web page: http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Osmanthus+fragrans

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks very much; I think I'll do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.