Looking plants up with Latin names

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I was wondering if someone could refer me to a book that describes the botanical terms of the plant search? I have been using the generalized search instead of the Latin names, mostly out of not knowing how and also the results of a grumpy old man.

Where do I start?

Thanks,

Chuck

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Chuck, are you looking for a listing of plants with common name and botanical name? If so, I also hope someone has that information, because I'd like it also. It would be very helpful.

Or are you looking for instructions on how to look up plants that way in PlantFiles? If so, use the search feature here,
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?Search=Click+here+to+search+for+plants, and put in as much of the information you know.

If you are looking for a description of the different classification terms used in the search, this site is pretty good http://theseedsite.co.uk/class.html

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Chuck, I am not sure that I understand your question. But if you know a common name and want to search by the botanical name just click on the USDA link at the bottom of the Plantfiles home page. It will give you a list of plants using that common name and the botanical nomeclature for each plant in the list. It is not all inclusive but it is a good place to start.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks to both of you. The link to the site in the UK was a good starter, JoanJ. And the information on the PlantFiles Home Page was appreciated too, Farmerdil! Can you tell me what UBER means?

Thanks again,

Chuck

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is easier just to click on Uber at the top of Plantfiles home page.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Chuck, there is a little gem of a book, a small paperback by Dover Press, called "How Plants Get Their Names." Author L.H. Bailey. It gives the meaning of many of the terms used to give plants their botanical names. You can do a Google of Dover Press to see if the title is still in print.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Jamesstorrs,

Thanks!!

I just ordered this book used from Powell Books. It is supposed to be in excellent shape but it only cost $8.70 including shipping (book was $4.95)

Thanks again,

Chuck

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Jamesstorrs,

I received the book and it was in excellent shape. You can't even tell that it is used. To be truthful, because of back to school issues (I have three kids in college), I haven't had the time to read it. Just wanted to let you know that I received it.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Jamesstorrs,

I finished reading the book, How Plants Get Their Names by L H Bailey today. Sorry I took so long but with six grown children (three of those in college) and four grandchildren, sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day.

The first three chapters of the six chapters didn't clarify how to identify plants in Latin as much as they covered the the topics of the many errors of classificiation and how the old system failed rather than how to work it. The last three chapters were very, very good in explaining the present classifications.
The glossary on the definition and how to pronounce many Latin names is well worth the price of the book.

Just a question...Was this book written as L H Bailey's PHD thesis? It reminds me of some of the PHD publications that I have seen in different subjects.

I still hope to end on a happy note. Now with the advent of the computer, has it been easier to create a classification system with less errors? It seems to me also that I heard that plant DNA tests were being performed somewhere. If these become instrumental in streamlining a classification system, it would go a long way to helping.

Thanks you SO MUCH for recommending this book to me.

Take care,

Chuck

DNA classifications are being used today, it's causing some upheaval. End of the day there will always be work for the taxonomist!

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Baa,

How can I get more info about the DNA classifications? It sounds like an exciting new field.

Thanks,

Chuck

It's very new only proposed in the very late 1990s, I'm yet to come across anything much written for interested parties like myself.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Baa!

Let me know if you hear anything more about this...

Chuck

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Are the people who are genetically engineering fruits and vegetables, also the ones that are performing the DNA Classifications? I am going to try (notice I said "try") to take a Botany class. I am not very smart but I really enjoy plants and gardening.

Thanks,

Chuck

Not as far as I'm aware.

I find if you enjoy something you learn it anyway however academic or not you may be!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The people who are doing genetic engineering would not be the same ones who are doing the classification--there's a big difference between just analyzing what DNA is there (which is what the classification would do) and trying to modify it and insert genes to do new things. And whether species X is really genetically the same/different than species Y would not be likely to be of interest (except maybe a personal interest outside of work) to someone developing corn that's resistant to herbicides, for example.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks!!! I really need to take a Botany class. I have a call into the local community college trying to get into their Botany class (General Botany I). It won't have all the answers but at least it will be a beginning. They also carry a class called Field Biology that sounds interesting. But thanks to all the cuts in the budgets of community classes by our governor, many classes aren't offered very often.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images