Question on seed pod

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I started some Datura (La Fleur Lilac) from seed this winter and 2 pots have produced 1 flower each at the very top. The plants are only about 10 in tall. Where the flower was appears to be a seed pod.
It is good size and kinda spiny looking. Is this the seed pods and when do I harvest the seeds.
My first time growing datura.
Jan...

Hawkesbury, ON(Zone 4b)

That prickly thing is the seed pod. I leave mine dry on the plant and just as it starts to crack I snip it off.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Jan... yes, it is the seedpod. with summer coming, in my case, i would cut off that pod and focus on having more bloom: unless u like seed pod. u got plenty of time to enjoy the blooms than have seed pods. jmo

when i grow datura, i wait till end of Sept./Oct in my area to allow them to produce seed pod/s.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will cut them off. I was concerned that since they're so young that the seed pot might be taking growth energy away from them. I was really surprised that they even bloom that small. I do have 2 more that I noticed are also budding. Think I should snip those buds off as well?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're welcome. when a plant, form seed pods - take off too much energy from the mother plant. the very reason why i only allow them to form to almost to the end of the growing season in my area.

believe me, u will have tons and tons of seeds when seed pods ripens. La Fleur produce almost 100 seeds out of one pod. u will know the seed pod when it ready when the pods turns to brown from green. u will also notice the pods will produce crack along the seams of the seed pod [which why some people cut a piece of stockings and wrap around the seed pod] to prevent the seeds from dispersing all over the yard. it is a good idea to watch the seed pod or it will take u several seasons to be picking seedlings of datura around ur yard.

La Fleur daturas are prolific bloomers and fragrant too! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Will take your advice.
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.