Need advice about moving young trees

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hello All,

I'm here in Zone 5b...my mother has to move this spring and wants to take several of her young trees with her. Last summer was her 70th birthday and all she wanted was trees! Anyway, now they have to move and she wants to take them with her. Sure would appreciate any advice on method and timing.

If I remember right, we're talking about a dogwood, japanese maple (still very small), weeping cherry, and maybe an ornamental pear. Can I take spring cuttings off them as a backup?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!
Jacki

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dig them now (not tomorrow!) before they break dormancy, with a suitable soil ball, and plant them in their new locations as soon as possible. It they're still new/small you should have no problems. If you have never dug a tree with a rootball have a local nurseryman show you how, and practice first on an "expendable" tree!

Guy S.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Guy...I'll get on the phone to my mom right now and give her the word...
Jacki

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

By the way, do your practicing on the ornamental pear. Then, assuming it's a callery cultivar like 'Bradford', pitch it . . .

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.