are you Virginians ready?

Crozet, VA

Are you ready for the storm that is forecast for today? One to three inches of white stuff is called for here in Central VA. I don't mind snow a bit, but hate for my loved ones to be on the roads. I like it when we are all bundled up here inside enjoying each others company.

Many of my perrenials are popping. I have several small beds around the yard and have been enjoying walking around each day and seeing new growth. I also enjoyed a little surprise from a bed that I thought we destroyed last year during some excavating. I have had several hibiscus and a few crocus pop up through the mud. I plan to transplant them later to one of the better beds.

I hadn't realized until hearing others speak of how dry we have been. I am now hoping that the five shrubs that I recently planted will live. I have only watered them a few times in the past two weeks. I suppose that time will tell.

Well, enjoy the day everyone.

Ruby

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow Ruby, another early riser :) If you don't get the snow (or rain) today, give those shrubs another drink! It is dry, dry, dry! We keep checking the advance forecast and it still doesn't look like we're going to get any significant rainfall in the next couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it the other day when I was driving down our gravel road and I was actually creating a trail of dust behind me - that doesn't usually happen until July!!!! Not only has it been dry, but windy! After last weeks' winds, we realized the umbrella was missing from our table on the deck. We had opened it weekend before when we had the 80 degree weather and actually needed some shade and forgot to close it. We couldn't imagine where it had gone - found it a few minutes later upside down in our pond - almost 100 feet from the deck!!! I would have loved to have seen that flying through the air - luckily no damage :)

We have so many trees blooming right now (a month early!) and not sure how they're going to like the low temps this week - forecast is for low temps of 21 tomorrow night! Most will probably make it through ok, but I'm thinking the Magnolia blooms will be drooping by the end of the week :(
Debbie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Debbie, please don't say that about the magnolias. This is my 'Jane' s first spring and I was so hoping for a great display. I went to Manassas yesterday and saw 2 of the biggest saucer magnolias I have ever seen, both about 2 days from full bloom. I was hoping to see a stunning display from them Sunday when I go back.
My "rose fence" looks quite lovely this morning, all draped with tarps to protect the leaves that have emerged. I may be fighting a losing battle, but at least I can't blame myself for not trying. There's a whole lot more, though, that will likely suffer. I'll probably get no pears this year. :(

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I am afraid that my Saucer Magnolia will not put out much of a show this year. The buds were partially opened, and they looked fine up until these past few cold nights. I am still optimistic. The benefit of the "girl" series of Magnolias is that they bloom later so they are less likely to get hit by a late frost (or fooled by an early heat wave as was the case this year) so hopefully your Jane will fare better.

We were supposed to get a dusting of snow here in Northern Virginia today before noon. Nothing yet. Not even a drop of rain.

BTW, what are the trees with small pink flowers that are blooming now in Northern Virginia? I am pretty sure they are some type of Prunus. Maybe a cherry or plum? I was looking at a bloom chart for trees and things sure seem to be mixed up this spring.

- Brent

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

Well, Brent, we did have a snow flurry for all of about 20 minutes here in Centreville, actually west of Centreville. That's it though.

I've been walking around just like you, Ruby, checking out what's doing what. So far have a few hyacinths blooming, some daffodils blooming, crocuses, tulips with leaves only, the bleeding heart is up about 4", sweet woodruff is barely showing, the lilies of the valley are just breaking thru the ground, buddleia has tiny leaves, knotweed (Red Dragon) is just breaking thru the ground, plus a few other usual things growing such as hollyhocks & lilies.

So far don't have any magnolias but will sure remember the hint about the 'girl' series that blooms later on!

Carolyn

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I hope you're right about Jane, Brent. Her buds are not open yet, but swelling. It's not nearly as cold here as they said it would stay all day; it was supposed to be only in the low 20's all day but is above freezing. We've been having flurries since about 10:30, but DH's comment at lunch was "If this keeps up, we may have some accumulation by November." :)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got cold in Danville today

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank goodness...just flurries here between central and northern VA. Here's picks of my dwarf Magnolia's bloom/buds the other day....

Thumbnail by Chantell
Crozet, VA

Oh Gee!!! We also had about 20 minutes worth of flurries, ice and rain. During the wee morning hours when I was up yesterday, the weather reports were calling for a lot more than that.

Yes rcn, I am having some sleep issues lately. For several nights running I am up between 1 and 2 AM. It sucks. Has my days messed up for sure. Today I was able to sleep until 3 AM so maybe I will begin to get back on track soon.

I realized yesterday that as I have been reporting my little sprouts to the group that I am mis-naming about every other one. This will be my first year trying to identify things by their names rather than their color. haha

I am not sure if I will have any time to spend in the yard today or not. I have a doctors appointment early today and am usually tired after doing that. Might spend the afternoon on the couch with a magazine or something.

Everyone have a great day.

Ruby

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mickgene, I hope your 'Jane' fares well. Our 'Jane' was just starting to bloom and the temps of Tuesday have set her back miserably. The blooms are still there, but I'm afraid they won't open as they're all looking quite 'soft' right now. Some of the larger Saucer Magnolias in town have already bloomed and gone by - very unusual for this time of year. We've had something really odd happen this year - we have this darned Cardinal that for the past couple of years has taken quite a liking to our 'Jane' which is right in front of our office window. Every morning she scares the heck out of us when she starts flying into the window - can never figure out if she's going after bugs or her own shadow, but considering it's too cold for bugs to be on the window, probably her shadow. She keeps this up for a good spell in the morning and then throughout the day you can hear her off and on again. The other day I heard her at it again and walked by to shoo her away - found her sitting on a branch eating the blossoms of 'Jane'!!! And I mean she was chomping away! Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I've seen other birds eating apple blossoms in the spring, so I guess it's not that unusual, but she's eaten the whole back side of this Magnolia!
Debbie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Good thing she's sticking to the backside. :) Maybe it's the same as with my Aronia, a bush that's used for cover but rarely has it's berries eaten. This year, though, every species I have is partaking of the berries. I think it must be because there's so little water around. (I even have chipmunks climbing into the Aronia.)
We have an unusually large number of cardinals this spring. Since my Jane is still just a few branches, they probably will stay away from it.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

Praying for rain in Winchester - planted peas in dust on March 9 and have not had enough rain to germinate it. I really wanted a wet spring since winter was so bizzarre.

Crozet, VA

I hear that roxroe. We are experiencing drought type of weather here too. On another forum that I visit there is a discussion with the heading of - "rain, rain, go away." I had to check that one out and see where this person lived. They are in California and it has been raining for 10+ days. I would like to have them ship some of the wet stuff here to us.

I am in agreement with wishing for rain.

Ruby

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yep...I am hoping for rain today. We have gotten a few sprinkles so far but the weather forecast is calling for some storms later today. In 2004 I made an effort to rejuvenate my lawn. It looked good in the spring of 2005, but ever since then the weather has not been very grass friendly.

The show from my Saucer Magnolia was less than stellar this year. Most of the blooms were browned around the edges. Oh well, it was still pretty and I forgot how fragrant the blooms are.

BTW, I have heard reports that 'Jane' and the other Girl magnolias can be prone to nasty cases of powdery mildew.

- Brent

Crozet, VA

I don't know a thing about magnolia's Brent. I do know that J J Cale sang a song about "Sweet Magnolia" that my hubby "courted" me with. A really sexy tune.

One of these days, I might attempt to plant a magnolia tree for that very reason....to remind my hubby of earlier times.

Yes, pray for rain!

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Brent,
My dwarf Magnolia looked great for about a day...then too, turned brown around the blooms :(
Personally, I've given up on grass in the front. I've had a rock garden on a little strip to the side (townhouse yard) and the wider front area is being turned into a hodge podge - lower 1/3 will be a cactus garden. I kid you not!! So tired of trying to make it green....now it's just going to be colorful...period! LOL Magnolia's in the middle...behind her will be Plumeria (removed during winter) lavender and sedum - that'll show that grass!!! Oopss...forgot about the flower bed directly in front of the house...gonna have tuberoses, ginger, Peony, sweet almond clematis...too many to name. Just so no to grass...ha!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.