Hi, does anyone love the shrub: Caryopteris? Blue flowers?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, I purchased one shrub several years ago... sadly, my DH kept cutting it back to its end in the fall, with perrennials!!! I had forgotten its name, and finally found it. It is so beautiful right into fall with such vibrant blue blooms. Such and unusual color for that time. And because of this list I found a great source, at least price wise. My husband nick named it the "busy bush" because it was always so full of butterflies, bees, and ?? Just wanted to know if any of you have experience and can give over agressive husband better instructions on shrubs!! Geesh, it only grows three ft. anyway,LOL. thanks, Mary. p.s have a grreat last March first day of spring snow!!!!!!!! I plan on bundling up my kiddies and use there snowsuits one last time..surely wont fit next year!!! :)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Lou,
I had a nice sized Caryopteris, but do not have it now. I have ordered a new one for this spring - 'Longwood Blue' I had planted the previous one too close to several butterfly bushes and it got dug up by mistake. You should have at least 6-12 inches as it goes into winter. Otherwise, you can't find it in the spring!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Green,, where did you order yours from,, I think I was looking at Wayside Garden's?? Flowerlou

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Flowerlou,
I ordered the Caryopteris 'Longwood Blue' from Bluestone Perennials up near Cleveland (I forget the name of the village)

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Karen, I will check them out! Mary

Athens, OH

If anyone wants some Caryopteris, I probably have some. Mine LOVE to sent out babies!

Picture attached.

ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OH Rox,, I would just LOVE to have some or one? We have moved to a new home with a total landscape disaster. We still have yet to sell our old home. We really needed a better school system for our daughter,, and this homes previous owner was willing to sell it to us at a reduced price privately.. so we are a bit strapped for cash. I do have an embroidery machine.. perhaps we could do a trade?? Do you think your baby's bloom true ?
Thanks, let me know...if you have questions.
Flowerlou

Athens, OH

I have had a few babies bloom so far and they all see to be the same, so I think so.

I have a really nice one (~1' high and lots of branches). I can send it with my husband to Cincinnati next Wed. at 7:00 pm; he is going to give a talk at the Cincinnati Nature Center [http://www.cincyherps.com/event.php?id=31].

If he delivers it and you pick it up (instead of mailing), I'd be happy to gift it to you. Perhaps in the future (at the roundup), we can trade some plants.
ROX

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Rox, sounds great will D mail you,, hope I do it right,, still a newbie here! thanks, Flowerlou

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi! I would love to have a start of this. Are you planning to attend the RU on May 6th? I plan to attend and maybe we could swap then? Lou

Athens, OH

Dispatcher1
Yes, I am planning to attend.
I am going out today to seem how many I have. I'll get back to you.
ROX

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Rox! Lou

Athens, OH

Well-
I found 5 strong babies.
My DH will bring 1 to Cinc. for Flowerlou on Wed. and I'll bring the others to the RU (one for Lou and the others to share).

ROX

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rox! My DH, Phil will be there at 6:50,, this will be the very first new addition to our new home, (other than a walking stick shrub I transplanted last spring,, 4 months before we even bought the house, lol! thank you, wish I could be there, but bad time for my kiddos.. :) Will take good care of your baby, Flowerlou. Have a great rest of the week!

Athens, OH

Flowerlou-
My DH didn't see your DH last night so he brought it home. I am sorry. I asked him to leave it there but he forgot.

If you still would like it, I have a friend from Cinc. visiting this weekend who can bring it back. It will be one very well traveled plant.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
ROX

This message was edited Apr 6, 2006 8:24 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ROX,, hope you see my Dmail???? Flowerlou.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.