Holden, LA

Hi, I'm a new member in Louisiana. I've done vegetable gardening before, but started trying to pretty up my yard a couple years ago, and now I'm hooked on flowers (and all plants for that matter) I have lots to learn, and am hoping joining this forum will help. Are there any other Louisiana gardeners here? Do y'all ever get together for plant swaps and sharing information?
chillin' in Louisiana

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Mornin' Chillin!

Welcome to the forum and plant obssession. I've been fanatically gardening for about 10-12 yrs. now and always learning.
Check out Calender of Events(at least I think that's what it's called)for plant swaps in your area.

P

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Chillin - Welcome to Dave's!! To my knowledge there hasn't been a plant swap in LA, but it sounds like a good idea.

I'm not trying to push subscribing to Dave's Garden (GH) but it's only $15 per year and there are loads of informative Forums you will be able to access, the RoundUp (as in get-together swap plants and stories) Forum, plus the Seed & Plant Swapping Forums.

What plants are you interested it?

Judy

Holden, LA

Thanks for the welcomes. I sure would like to attend a round up, but of course it would depend on the date and the location. Out of 4 different gardening clubs/forums, I was trying to decide which to subscribe to based on the planned activities and get-togethers. But I might have to subscribe to them all in order to get into all the forums and also to be taken seriously enough to encourage others to participate. :o)
Judy, the plants I'm interested in are..... ALL of them! :o) But since you asked, I have just become very intrigued by the Hibiscus in all it's variety and exciting color mixes!!! I don't have even one! But at a garden show this weekend, I hope to find some. Anyone else in La. going to the Ag Center's garden show in Baton Rouge? I'm looking forward to it.
Also dh and I have just started a rose bed, even though we haven't worked with roses much in the past. We had one rose at each of our two previous homes, but they pretty much took care of themselves. Yesterday we actually planted a bed of four new types, so now we have six types I believe. We have scores of other plants from wild to wonderful, including irises, lilies, a few fruits and berries, ground covers, herbs, many vines, trees, shrubs, potteds, and much more. I love them ALL!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 12:35 PM

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 12:35 PM

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 12:36 PM

Thumbnail by chillin
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Chillin, welcome to Dave's and this forum. It's a good one, and it's new, too, like you!
You're gonna learn so much here, and find lots of friends ;)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome Chillin,
I know exactly where Holden, La. is. I live in Ky now but I am from La. I lived down the bayou in Dulac for years and call it home but I was actually raised on the northshore around Bedico. When I was going to SLU I bought a horse form a girl named Robbie who lived in Holden. She was on the rodeo team at school. That was a great horse. I ran barrels with her.
Hibiscus is a great idea for you. They really like the climate in La. You should have lots of success with them. They are prolific bloomers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.