Termite infested Mulch

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Got an email today stating that mulch is being sold cheap from the devestation left behind by hurricane Katrina. It went on to say that this mulch could be carrying a particularly difficult termite from the Gulf Coast. As a rule, I don't believe any email warnings. Thought I'd check if anyone heard about this.
Thanks.
Dave

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

This was posted on another thread, and someone replied that it was "an urban myth".

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank you. I thought as much. Hard to figure who would get their jollies making that up.

Denver, CO

"A culture of fear."
It's everywhere: turned me into the biggest cynic.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Hey, it could be a myth that it's a myth. I can't vouch for the myth guy.

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

See attached link. It appears to be an "official" myth. HM

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_mulch_termites.htm

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You gotta love the urban legends website!

Most of these fake warnings are for a goof ("look what I started") or to "harvest" email addresses for spammers. Why would anyone risk further hurting the economy of the Gulf Coast by doing this?

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I heard that on the radio just yesterday here in North Georgia! They reported the mulch story along wth the rest of the news. I believed it. It is nice to know that the officials are on top of the problem.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

As a termite, I deeply resent this sort of media hype and bad press.

Actually this is one urban legend that has some base in fact. It's not like those "this happened to my sister's neighbor's cousin" ones. I just don't believe it is something to get alarmed about, as they were pretty careful about it early on. When in doubt, check with www.snopes.com.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.