First day of spring?

southwestern, IA(Zone 5a)

We have had a great winter here in Iowa so I really have no complaints. I just find it ironic that today is the "first day of spring" and we are expecting the worst storm of the season....lol So far we have had about 4 inches and here is the forcast for this evening and tomorrow:

Late Afternoon: Periods of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 32. Breezy, with a northeast wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Periods of snow with areas of blowing snow. Low around 25. Blustery, with a north wind between 18 and 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tuesday: A 40 percent chance of snow before noon. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly sunny, with a high around 30. North wind between 9 and 17 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's almost 10 o'clock and I haven't seen a snowflake yet. But have we had wind!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A bit of new snow this morning here too, though it thawed by mid day. An abnormally cold month here, there hasn't been a single mild March day yet (nothing over 6°), and there's no prospect of any spring in the forecast for the next week either.

It was noticeably warmer in both January and February with several 10° to 12° days in both months.

Resin

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I woke up to flurries and fairly warm air. Kind of an oxymoron - warm snow. We got 1/4'' and it's melting pretty fast.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

They are promising us a week of partly cloudy, mostly sunny
Followed by three days of POSSIBLE showers. emphasis on the possible is mine. As none of the showers have shown up yet.
So watering will be on my list by next week. dangit. 'sposed to rain in the spring. oh yeah, yesterday it spit something for about 5 minutes.
~Blooms

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I keep TRYING to shoo the rain over your way Blooms :). Try a raindance maybe?

Looks like going to be clear & sunny here today which is good since I braved the rain & hail yesterday to get a load of bricks and set up a new raised bed in the as-of-yet untouched and desolate front of the property. Now I can start filling it up.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

might have to go out and buy a rain stick at that Dana
thanks for trying. I look at the map and see you getting rain and my hopes rise... and then it all scoots nortward to SLC waaah.

Hurrah on the gardening efforts.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

March is out like a lion! Now we have a chilly, hopefully wet April to get thru. May is fickle. Memorial day can be so unbelievably cold. June is the month I want to go on forever. Everything is clean, new and full of color!

southwestern, IA(Zone 5a)

Did you have bad weather on Thursday Billy?
We had severe tstorms and tornado warnings. I guess they say a small tornado came through that evening but thankfully we didn't have any damage. Apparently it came down in Papillion Ne and hopped along interstate 480 touching down shortly several places along the way. I know there was alot of damage right here in Council Bluffs but no one was hurt thank god.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thursday, we just got a good shower. I had Thunder go off right over top of me that afternoon while I was weeding. I scooted!
Friday, it rained
Sunday, we had a green sky, nasty clouds, a bit of hail and a good rain. Lone tree and Muscatine had Tornado warnings. We were weathering out the storm in Moscow (Iowa.)
Today, the wind, again. It hasn't quit blowing since at least December!
Amen to no one getting hurt! I don't think Nichols has ever had a real tornado. At least not in town. We have a bluff to the west and our old wives tale says that protects us. Nichols is an old swamp, Elephant Swamp, of all names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.