Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Wake Forest, NC

For those of you who may have physical limitations doing tradtional gardening, you may want to try straw bale gardening.

Even wheel chair-bound folks can take advantage of this method.

I've been a traditional gardener all my life, but tried straw bale gardening last year as well.

I tried several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, cukes, squash, and zucchini in the bales and they all did outstanding.

You can start your garden with seeds if you use some topsoil on top of the bales, but I transplanted all of my vegetables from flats and trays purchased from local nurseries.

I initially used 20 bales of wheat straw. The plants in the wheat straw were doing so well that I got 10 more bales of oat straw to see how that would do. (Pine straw won’t work.)

I recommend getting bales that have been tightly baled. The oat straw bales I bought were lighter and baled looser than the wheat straw, and I learned that they don’t hold as much water. I paid about $2.50 for each bale.

Use bales that have synthetic twine if you can find them. The twine won’t rot and it will hold the bales together longer. If the bales use regular twine, that’s no problem. You may have to put a stake at the end of the bales. The bales I used had regular twine, and they started to rot and break, but I arranged 10 in each row, so the bales tend to hold each other together.

I oriented my bales with the strings off the ground. You can do it either way, but I like the twine off the ground. The transplanting seemed easier with the bales oriented with the strings off the ground. You can decide which way to orient yours.

If you make more than one row of bales, put them wide enough apart so your lawnmower can get between them. And because you’ll be watering them, I recommend placing the bales where the water will drain away from your house or away from where you’ll be walking.

How many plants per bale? Try two tomato plants per bale, three peppers, two squash, two sets of cucumbers.

Be prepared to stake the tomatoes, peppers and any tall growing plants. I recommend 6-foot stakes for the tomatoes. I used tobacco sticks last year, but they are too short. My tomatoes grew way over the tobacco sticks. This year I'll be using stakes and a horizontal trellis and arch way-type trellis.

I didn’t plant any okra last year, but they will probably do well. You’ll definitely have to stake them. I don’t think corn will work too well. The plants will be too top-heavy. I water the bales in the morning and after sunset. You can’t over-water because any excess will just run out of the bales. Soaker hoses will work. The main thing is not to let the bales get dried out between watering.

I started out using some Miracle Grow once a week for a couple of weeks. Then I sprinkled in some 10-10-10. You don’t want to over fertilize.

The bales will start to sprout wheat or oat straw, but that is no problem. If the grass gets too much for you, just whack it off with a knife. I give my bales a “haircut” every so often with a steak knife. It takes no time at all.

One thing I’ve noticed—and this could be just a fluke—is I have not had to spray my plants with any pesticides such as Liquid Sevin. I haven’t had any worms, bugs or other pest bother my straw bale garden. Maybe it has something to do with the plants being off the ground.

Be prepared to use new bales each year. I don’t think they will be suitable for two years in a row. You can burn them, use them for mulch or bust them up and set new bales on them next year.

Preparing Your Bales

It takes 10 days to prepare your bales.

Days 1–3: Water the bales thoroughly and keep them wet.
Days 4–6: Sprinkle the bales with 1/2 cup of ammonium nitrate (34-0-0) per bale per day, and water it well into the bales. I didn’t have any trouble finding ammonium nitrate from my local ag-supply store. They sold it in 50-pound bags. I have heard, however, that some people have had difficulty finding it in more urban settings. Ask around. (See more about ammonium nitrate at the bottom of this page.)
Days 7–9: Cut back to 1/4 cup of ammonium nitrate per bale per day and continue to water it in well.
Day 10: No more ammonium nitrate, but do add 1 cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer per bale and water it in well.
Day 11: Transplant your plants into the bales. I used a spatula to make a crack in the bale for each plant. Place the plant down to its first leaf and close the crack back together as best you can.

Other straw bale references:

[HYPERLINK@www.nicholsgardennursery.com]
[HYPERLINK@www.county.ces.uga.edu]
[HYPERLINK@www.co.clay.mn.us]

I didn't invent this method, but I have become an avid proponent of it.

I'm adding a photo of a portion of my garden.

Regards and have a blessed day,

Kent Rogers
Deputy Sheriff
Wake County, NC
[e-mail:kent.rogers@earthlink.net]

P.S. - the recipe for preparing your straw bales calls for a little Ammonium Nitrate (34-0-0). Because of some Homeland Security concerns, you will probably have to give your name and phone #/address to the Seller. Ammonium Nitrate is just a fertilizer-type catalyst that acts like vitamins for the microbes that help decompose the straw bale to make it a great host for the vegetables you're going to plant. Farmers/gardeners have been using this product for years. However, if you can't find any Ammonium Nitrate or don't want to purchase a 50 lb bag, just add a week or so weathering process to your bales before you add your transplants. Be sure to wait until all danger of frost is over for your area.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2006 3:35 PM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2006 3:37 PM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2006 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

NOTE: there's a pretty good discussion going on about this topic in the Vegetable Garden forum. Check it out.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's the thread for this discussion in the Vegetable Gardening Forum
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/584625/

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Kent,

Been following the discussion in the Veggie forum, i have just one question. Do you own stock in straw?

:)

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Seriously, it looks like an interesting thing to try!

Wake Forest, NC

Tombaak: hmm, that sounds like a good idea; I could try and become a Strawbale Baron!!! :-)

Crossville, TN

This is AWESOME! Jo

Buffalo, NY

Anyone know an organic way to do this?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I live in an urban area. How does one go about buying straw bales? I tried an internet search on the subject and even with targeted keywords, I ended up with pages on straw bale houses (which is cool, but not what I'm looking for straw for....plus the pages had no buying info) or links to buy decorative mini-bales for crafting.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Spidra,

If you have a pickup, i'm sure you could get bales in Napa or Petaluma, any of those areas where there is livestock. I know for sure you can get it in Sebastopol, but i'm sure you can find it closer.

Melissa

Wake Forest, NC

Spidra: also ask any landscaper where they get their straw from; call an ag-supply place, too. Buddy of mine called a local ag supply store and they said all the bales they had were moldy. My buddy said that's perfect and got them for about 1.50/bale vs the normal 3.50.

By the way, your're welcome to join us at Strawbale Gardening Part 9: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/708629/

That's where we're all at now.

Kent

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Has anyone tried growing Daylilies in the bales? I am an avid daylily gardener, with bad back/knees, etc. I wonder if it would work for them as well?

Wake Forest, NC

caribayb: good question. The discussion has centered over here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/718768/

Pose that question there.

Kent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.