Rooting Azalea cuttings

Metairie, LA

I lost a lot of my gardening books in Katrina so I need some help, soon, with something.
I have some cuttings from a hard-to-find azalea and would like someone to tell me how to root them. I forgot to say that I also lost part of my mind with Katrina.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Never tried to root them. But I bet someone who lives in a more favorable azalea climate, like Growin, has done so. I know you need the answer quickly, so try D-mailing him.

Guy S.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL
I grew up propagating azaleas & camellias with my dad. Ideally, you need semi-hardwood growth - usually collected in late June/July in central AL. They're easy to do. Just collect those cuttings, strip off all but the top 3 or 4 leaves, dip the basal end in your choice of rooting hormone, and stick in your rooting medium - we had a raised rooting bed in the back yard, in full shade - located between the back of the house and two big cherrybark oaks, a 50/50 mix of clean sand and peatmoss. Watered the cuttings daily.
Left them in the bed over winter, lifted & potted up the next spring.

Since you're dealing with cuttings now, I'd give it a shot; but success would be better with cuttings collected later in the season. Don't know if a humidity chamber ( that was a mayonnaise jar stuck down over the cutting, for us) would be helpful - might just foster fungal growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.