Dature advice needed

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

How fast do Datura seeds germinate, and can you grow them as annuals in zone6 ?
My goal would be to start them in May outdoors. When would they then flower ?
Thanks

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Kenneth, Datura seeds can take from as little as a week to as much as 2 months to germinate. Why not start some now so they will be ready to put outside in May, thus giving yourself a headstart on blooming time?
I'm in Zone 7 and they are annuals for me.

Barb

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Ken,
I have started Daturas outside, using the wintersowing method, but sowing them in early spring when it isn't really going to freeze anymore. I started my Daturas for this year last weekend. And yes, they do grow as annuals for us. I don't remember how long they took to germinate for me last year, but once it gets warm, there's no stopping them! They will start to flower probably around mid July I think. I can't really remember exactly, but it is around mid-summer, when things are really hot and humid for us.

Hope that helps!
Mina

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi KD ~ it may have been beginners luck, but I had excellent germination with a little bottom heat and a regular desk lamp. (down-turned) They were barely getting started when my plant light burned out ~ I replaced it with a regular bulb (hot!) and they went wild. They do like the heat!

I decided to start indoors earlier this year hoping for earlier bloom. The ones that start outdoors don't get going until mid to late summer.

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.