Amaryllis as a cut flower

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Have any of you tried this?

I read once that you could cut amaryllis blooms, fill the stalk with water, plug it with a cotton ball, and that it would keep for up to 3 weeks in a vase. I thought I would try it, since the flowers never last that long on the plant. (I am skeptical about it). Here is the one I cut today. I will probably blow the experiment, though, because I am leaving for vacation in 6 days. Maybe it will still look good when I return!

If any of you have tried it, please share your successes or failures with us.
Pictures would be great....I would love to see the possibilities!

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks lovely with the italicum foliage. Is that 'Appleblossom'.
Did you fill and plug the stem?

Robert.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi raydio, I am glad you like it!
Yes, it's Appleblossom and Arum italicum. I have never tried either in a vase, so hopefully they will do well. I did plug the stem after filling it with water.
I love the winter foliage of the arum. It is hard to believe how it withstands the cold and looks good all winter! And at this time of year, there is not a lot in the yard to harvest for greenery.
Sometimes in the summer I use hosta leaves. They last a long time.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've found Amaryllis make wonderful cut flowers. I've not tried filling the stem with water but have heard of doing that and hanging it upside down.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Amaryllis do make good cut flowers. I just put them in the vase with water immediately - never heard of filling the stem w/water and plugging with a cotton ball. I'm not sure if that would really help as the stems are hollow and filled with air when attached the the plant anyway. In my experience, the flowers in water last about as long as on the bulb - no more, and no less. Flower life depends on the temperature and cultivar (cool temps = longer life). BTW, amaryllis, like daffodils/narcissus, tend to ooze viscous sap that may cause other flowers or foliage to wilt in the same vase.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you both for your feedback. It will be interesting to see if the arum italicum leaves suffer from the oozing sap. I have certainly seen that happen when mixing daffodils with other flowers. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try searing the stem ends like I do with poppies? That would keep them from oozing, but it would also keep them from drinking I think. Might try that with a few daffodils first.

So far, I think I like the bloom better in the vase than on the plant. No leaning, staking, turning, hoping it doesn't fall over from being so topheavy.....if it lasts as long as on the plant, I might do this from now on!
I should compare filling the stems vs. not filling them next year (too late this year, most of them are about finished).

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I really like the look of it in the vase. I have several red ones and like the idea of being able to put it in a vase and not having to turn it on a daily basis or stake the bloom stalk.

Good job,
Deb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had a bloom stalk that, despite my best efforts, was determined to grow out horizontally. So I cut it off and put it in a vase, first filling the stalk with water as described. It looks great, but I'm not sure it is lasting any longer than it would on the plant. I've also taken off that "one last bloom" when the rest of the stalk is looking really sad and put it into a short little vase to get a few more days of enjoyment from it.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I think this is a great idea (it wasn't mine, I just read about it). My blooms are looking great, and the buds that weren't open are swelling and opening just like they would on the plant.

Thanks for the additional input, Deb and critterologist. I like the idea of putting that one last bloom in a small vase, too. They always look sort of pathetic on the stalk after the others have gone.

I would like to see a thread on spring bouquets, with lots of pictures. Anyone out there with the time for that? There must be lots of flower combinations to try, and lots to learn about making them last longer in the vase.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I often cut an amaryllis bloom or two and put them in a crystal vase or float a short one in a bowl.

I place them on coffee tables, dining table, or on my dresser. Makes a much prettier presentation without the clunky pots and I can appreciate them more that way.

I have never put water in the stem yet they seem to stay nice for a long time.

Also, when they are almost ready to bloom I may take them out of their pot, dirt and all, place them in a bigger pot with, say, forced hyacinths or other perennials like purple rock cress or pansies for a fun spring basket that usually draws a lot of compliments.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

And here's an amaryllis centerpiece with spring flowers from Lowe's. This lasted a long time and then I planted out the gerberas...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Orlando, FL

I put the flowers in water too just about two or three inches in the vase and they last about a week in the water inside. Fran

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Tabasco, your flowers are beautiful! Arranging them with other plants is a great idea. Thank you.

Alas, my stem (above) was quite dead when I returned from vacation (gone 10 days). The water was foul, so that may have contributed to the demise of the stem. So I did not get to record the actual length of time that it lasted.

Fran, it is good to know that only a couple of inches of water will do the trick in a vase. Thanks for your feedback on the time they will last.

Gotta run, lots to do here today!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Apple Blossom is so pretty! I also use small crystal Salt and Pepper shakers or antique ink wells to display single blooms.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, bluegrassmom. A heavyweight, but small and fancy container sounds perfect. I am so glad to hear all the suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.