how do I save left over seeds

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

I've once again got some left over seeds ranging from sweet corn seed to okra seed. Is there a suitable way to save them for next year or should I toss them and buy more next spring? Any help would be appreciated.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Many seeds keep for several years, although germination rates will decrease with time. Optimal conditions are cool and dry. I've successfully started Roma Tomato seeds that were several years old and stored in hot, but dry conditions. I'm sure there are many more experienced seed savers here who can tell you how they store their seeds - but definately don't toss them :-)

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks kmom,

I really go kind of crazy when I'm buying seed and transplants. And I hate to throw away seed if it's still viable. I purchased three different types of sweet corn and planted only one - Silver Queen. I think I'll put the seeds in some mason jars and hope they'll keep til next year.

Thanks again

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Might try putting a small packet of silica gel dessicant in the jar - the kind that comes with electronic equipment. Some people put the seeds in little paper envelopes so they don't touch the glass in case of condensation, I would guess.

I know what you mean about the "going crazy buying seeds" - this is the first time in nearly 20 years that I will have a real veggie garden, and I definately went overboard!

Good luck! :-) Karla

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Dry, dark and even temps are the most important things...some folks use the freezer or fridge...I use a closet. I try to rotate seeds and grow out for fresh stock every 5 years or so, and haven't had any problems.

If you don't have central heat and air...and don't keep a hygrometer in the house, I'd probably opt for fridge..(paper packets in glass jars) We have vintage guitars in the house, so temps and humidity are controlled to accomodate them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.