i need help with Dakion radishes

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I live on the big white radishes Daikon or whatever. Has anyone been successful in raising these. What type of soil do you use? What seed type do you buy?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I just direct seeded them in rich soil (amended clay) and they grew like crazy.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I grew them in the dim reaches of the past and was amazed at pulling out foot long white crispy monsters. Don't remember the variety but it was probably from Park's catalog cica 1972. The soil in that particular space was, as Zeppy mentioned, deep and rich. Now I grow the smaller round or oval types; the soil here is rocky clay, but good luck.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Nichols Garden Nursery carries at least one, sometimes two, varieties of Daikon. I haven't grown them here yet in this dense rocky clay but am building some deep raised beds so will have them again. They are good cooked, also. Mashed half & half with Irish potatoes and a little butter - very special!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

thank you all for the help. I love them because I am diabetic and I eat them like potatoe chips, thin sliced in front of the TV or book. No calories. Crunch crunch chew chew.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Soferdig, next time you're at Walmart or the like, look for seed packets of "white icicle" radish. That, too, is a "daikon" and will give you a nice treat as they handle hot weather very well. In the past I've even broadcast them in garden areas and used them to open up the ground (clay soil), then what I didn't harvest I'd let either decay in the ground, adding texture/tilth or would till them all in, again in an effort to break up the clay and add texture as well as the green topgrowth.

Shoe.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes I did those last summer and they were small and bitter. (In my garden) I am going to try them in sand this year. Thank you for the info.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm trying them for the first time. I bought one at the store and liked it. Bet I like homegrown better. I ordered Mooli.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.