clematis virginiana

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I did some winter sowing for the first time. I only did 2 different types (kinds/varieties/species?) of seeds. One was the clematis virginiana. I've read that it can be as invasive as the clematis terniflora (sweet autumn), and not for the small yard. Which then makes me leery of planting it in my small yard. Does any one have experience with this plant? I can always plant it out in my dad's timber if it does tend to self seed freely. Or if it doesn't self seed a lot, not in this cold climate or is easy to get rid of......

Thanks,

Terry

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Terryr,
I planted a clematis virginiana about 6 years ago on a front arbor. It was too spreading for this spot and did seed prolifically in my small zone 6 garden. When I moved it to the back along a chainlink fence, in a shadier spot, it seems smaller and more controled but did not have the three years in that spot to really take off. I still have a few seedlings that pop up in the original spot.
Pixie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We have C. virginiana growing wild down in the buffer by the creek, where it doesn't seem to be too rampant. It is in shade and an area where the cows go through occasionally, so that may have a bit to do with it (the cows don't browse it, just stomp through it). It climbs through the understory shrubs in the quarry and up into the popples. There doesn't seem to be anything rampant about it here, another zn 5a.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.