whats that term for a really old tree?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I used to know but the term has escaped me.
Guy Sternberg once told me that when the twigs on the crown turn up-ward (I think) that is an indication that the tree is old.
I believe the tree we were talking about then was the Gudgel Oak, which is a 256 year old White Oak (Q. Alba).

Is it hiscent or something, I shouldn't even guess, I don't know!

Will

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A Really Old Tree, of course!!

Also sometimes a veteran tree

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If it's from IL, then it's a Guy Sternbergii.

If it's from the UK, then it's a Coniferus Resinosa.

Lol!
God, I never thought about that, I hope I don't slight anybody with my question. I'm not particularly a spring chicken!
I've seen the funny names on here, with a name like "shortleaf", well I'll just close my eyes!
Please don't use "shortstuff" or "shortcake"! Hey, I'm nearly 5 foot 7!

Will

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Shorty! (I can say that to a lot of people! Hee-hee-hee!)
How about "venerable" or something like that? And if it's a Viburnum from Kentucky, just call it "dead" because everyone knows those durned worthless things don't live very long!!!

I think we might have been discussing plagiotropism. That happens when a tree becomes senescent enough to lose its apical dominance and start extending new growth via subapical or lateral buds, thus growing crooked. Does that sound like what you're after?

Guy S.

Yeah, thats it!
Shorty haha!
Oh, and thats almost 5 foot 7 with my shoes off!

Will

Metairie, LA

Through the years I have observed those bare sticks pointing to the sky and never really put the two together. I wonder if that applies to people as well?
It happens in oaks and willows for certain. Since I am a Pine I shall have to study it more carefully.
Oh, Guy, I heard a poem that pertains to you--
"A woman, a dog and a Walnut Tree
The more you beat it
The better it'll be."

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Poor "Guy" surrounded by the softer sex in DG and no one can relate the masculine response to challenges like another Man. I see the poem from a male perspective as:
"A woman, a dog, and a Walnut tree - the more you LOVE it - the better it will be" the girls just see things differently than us guys. Huh Guy. Arrrrrrgh.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Reminds me. What do you say to a blonde with two black eyes? Bad, bad joke. Bad Decumbent. Bad. Bad.

Scott

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Scott you need to go out in the woods with men and beat on some drums and you wouldn't think such things. It is an awsome experience!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

By the time I get back after a day outside to check some of these threads, they're already way too far down the wrong path for me to dare to comment!!!

(But Scott, what DO you say to that blonde?)

Guy S.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

...can a newbie break into this? Shortleaf, is 5'7" tall? (;-) (I'm 6' but maybe shrinking with years...so this thread has been making me laugh!
Laura

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just guys gathering round a fire to settle the day.

Welcome to you Laura! 6' tall, eh? Lucky you! No neck kinks for you ever!

Scott, I'm calling my brother tomorrow morning to get the answer to your joke.

Lauren (just one of the "guys" gathering round the fire)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No Will, Scott, Steve, and Guy.

Good night John Boy.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Good night my friend from the other coast.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Answer to the above bad joke: Nothing, because you've told her twice already.

Scott

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Answer to the above bad joke: Nothing, because you've told her twice already.

Oh Gawd, how I LOVE that one!!!
Hey Evilibrium and LOL, you little blondes you! How 'bout that? Hee-hee-hee! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Somebody pass another beer around the fire . . .

Guy S.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh the gathering is productive. Men can say what they think when gathered by the crackling fire. Boy the hunt was good today! Now reverse that joke Equil and you will find yourself guffawing.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Arrrrrgh! (Scratch scratch, grunt grunt . . . )

Guy S.

Sorry sofer, sometimes things go over my head with wings.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

On this thread Equil we (Men) have taken over and all are sitting around a fire with "fire in our bellies" (a mens book) talking about what men want to talk about with no women present. It is just what modern man is lacking and most men find it at the bar. Guy,Scott, and I are sitting by the fire. Arrrrrrg, scratch, grunt, fart, belch. the things men enjoy. You would have to read the book. I had a date that handed me the book "Women who run with wolves" on our second date and said if you can handle this let me know. I read it and never again let her know. Hee Hee

Metairie, LA

He who laughs last, laughs best--hee hee.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Anybody remember that song about deer camp?
If so, paste in the lyrics here!
;-)

Guy S.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Do you mean the one sang by The YOUppers. I can't remember it, but what a laugh. I do know the one "we are men let us roar". Hey that is what we need to do Guy. Mens poetry: Aaaarrrgh.
Uggggggg
Ahhhhh.
Ummmmph.
Huh?

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Deer camp song.....by da Yoopers.....1987......

1. ITS THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
I GOT A SWOLLEN HEAD
I'M LYING WITH THE DUST BALLS
UNDERNEATH MY BED
AN ICY BREEZE IS BLOWING IN
THROUGH THE TONGUE AND GROOVE
MY PANTS ARE FROZEN TO THE FLOOR
AND I'M TOO SICK TO MOVE
I DIDN'T DRINK TOO MANY
ONLY THIRTY CANS OF BEER
IT MUST HAVE BEEN THAT LAST SHOT
THAT PUT ME UNDER HERE
CHORUS:
IT'S THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
AND ALL THE GUYS ARE HERE
WE DRINK PLAY CARDS AND SHOOT THE BULL
BUT NEVER SHOOT NO DEER
THE ONLY TIME WE LEAVE THE CAMP
IS WHEN WE GO FOR BEER
THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
IS THE GREATEST TIME OF YEAR

2. I REMEMBER PLAYING POKER
THAT WEASEL MUSTA WON
HE'S WEARING MY NEW SWAMPERS
AND SLEEPING WITH MY GUN...HE'S SNORING LIKE A CHAIN SAW THE CAMP SMELLS LIKE A DUMP...SOMEONE'S DIRTY UNDERWEAR IS HANGING ON THE PUMP..MUUKER IS IN THE WOODBOX.....EENER IS PASSED OUT ON THE STOVE....HIS FLANNEL SHIRT IS SMOKING...I WONDER IF HE KNOWS...VITO IS CRAWLING THROUGH THE DOOR....I THINK HE GOT FROSTBITE.....HE PASSED OUT IN THE OUTHOUSE....AND HE'S BEEN THERE SINCE LAST NIGHT....THEN GOOFUS STUMBLES THROUGH THE DOOR...HE SAYS HE'S GOT A BUCK....HE WAS COMING FROM THE WAYSIDE...AND HE KILLED IT WITH HIS TRUCK.......THEN MUUSTI CRACKED A BEER AND SAYS IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE.....GOOFUS GOT THE FIRST BUCK SINCE 1968.....CHORUS.....

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This makes me feel powerful as a MAN! Yahh Sure You Betcha. Good research davers. Da beer vuzz goot.

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hey Steve!ya.....da beer vuzz goot!lol!(took me thirty beers just to type that)......lol!.....hope you are doing good....Dave

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Aaaarrrgh! (I never shot a deer in my life, but know some who have . . . does that count if I can grunt loud enough?)

Guy S.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I grew up with nuthin but Y chromosomes

I got married to a Y chromosome.

I now have nuthin but Y chromosomes in my home.

And now the Y chromosomes are taking over this thread?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, run for cover ladies (4paws and liveoaklady). The invasion process is underway.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Equil, don't worry. You're doing fine and are as macho as any guy here! In fact, it has always been my opinion that nothing is as macho as sleeping with a stinky, sweaty, hairy man. I know I couldn't do it.

Scott

Macho, eh? I've never been called macho before. I can't wait to tell hubby. FYI- I don't go camping with them. I stay right here and cheer them on from my full frig, bathtub, and warm bed. I am with them in spirit when they are stinky, sweaty, and unshaven. And when they come home if they are really really really bad, they best not even attempt to walk through my home in favor of stripping down to their underwear in the garage. I will pass them a plastic draw string garbage bag to put their clothes in and that will go straight down stairs to the washing machine and they can all dodge upstairs in their tightie whities to shower. I am the Mom and I say so!

One of my older brothers just sent me something that had me cracking up given you Y chromosomes are all over here bonding. I've deleted some portions of it that aren't appropriate but here's the majority-

International Rules Of Manhood

1: Under no circumstances may two men share an umbrella.

2: It is ok for a man to cry ONLY under the following circumstances:
a. When a heroic dog dies to save its master.
b.
c. After wrecking your boss' car.
d. One hour, 12 minutes, 37 seconds into "The Crying Game".
e.

3: Any Man who brings a camera to a bachelor party may be legally killed and eaten by his buddies.

4: Unless he murdered someone in your family, you must bail a friend out of jail within 12 hours.

5: If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off limits forever unless you actually marry her.

6: Moaning about the brand of free beer in a buddy's fridge is forbidden. However complain at will if the temperature is unsuitable.

7: No man shall ever be required to buy a birthday present for another man. In fact, even remembering your buddy's birthday is strictly optional.

8: On a road trip, the strongest bladder determines pit stops, not the weakest.

9: When stumbling upon other guys watching a sporting event, you may ask the score of the game in progress, but you may never ask who's playing.

11: It is permissible to drink a fruity alcohol drink only when you're sunning on a tropical beach... and it's delivered by a model and only when it's free.

14: Friends don't let friends wear Speedos. Ever. Issue closed.

15: If a man's fly is down, that's his problem, you didn't see anything.

16: Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated as spies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to drink as much as the other sports watchers.

18: Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of pizza, but not both, that's just greedy.

19: If you compliment a guy on his six-pack, you'd better be talking about his choice of beer.

22: Never talk to a man in a bathroom unless you are on equal footing: i.e. Both urinating, both waiting in line, etc. For all other situations, an almost imperceptible nod is all the conversation you need.

25: It is acceptable for you to drive her car. It is not acceptable for her to drive yours.

26: Thou shall not buy a car in the colors of brown, pink, lime green, orange or sky blue.

27: The girl who replies to the question "What do you want for Christmas?" with "If you loved me, you'd know what I want!" gets an Xbox. End of story.

28: There is no reason for guys to watch Ice Skating or Men's Gymnastics. Ever.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

priceless!

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Should I wear da camouflage cap or da John Deere cap?

Wear the camo but drive the johnny popper.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We have moved into an area only experienced by guys beating on drums in the woods. We need to "smudge" and get into a sweat house and discuss what really is important. Beer, Women, sports, and Mom.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

"'I've a sister in Toronto who's a Nurse,

And I've had a bit of bother laying turf,

It's life, not books, that's taught me all I've learned,

Wooops, in the kitchen, my rice pudding's being burned,

Say, have you seen the new attachment on me drill,

I must put the cat down 'cause he's ill...'

Refrain:

My Pink half of the drain pipe,

I may paint it blue,

My pink half of the drain pipe,

Keeps me safe from you..."

'A Donut in Grannies Greenhouse'
Bonzo Dog Da Da Band
Stoned age

Fred

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Just musing - - we have come a very long way from plagiotropism!

Guy S. (grunt)

Maybe that's because we all are beginning to grow that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.