Mystery flower???

Lockhart, AL

Hello all!
I found this flower in DeFuniak Springs, FL. They were part of the landscaping provided by the city. However, I contacted the city and they could not tell me what the flower was called or where to find it. So...I am asking for help. The foliage is closely related to amarylis or daffodil, just much smaller. The blooms are lilly like and start out pinker around the edges and turn more white as they mature. The blooms are about 3" to 4" long and about 3" wide when open. The stems have a dark purple "skin" just below the bloom and the remaining stem/foliage is green. I'm sure it is a bulb of some sort, but I have not dug them up. Any help out there?
Thanks a bunch!
Smiles,
Jennifer

Thumbnail by jenniferpy1
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow! I don't know, but they sure are pretty. I hope you find an answer. You might try the Identification forum if nobody here knows.

Atlanta, GA

I think it is a Crocus!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Mighty pretty. Could it be a crinum of some kind?

Lockhart, AL

The following message was copied from the MidSouth forum:

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - EVERYONE!
You've all been so helpful! From the link provided, I have determined that this flower is indeed an atomasco lily. I've never seen them until now. They are thriving in DeFuniak Springs, FL. We just moved to a home about 30 mins north of DFS in Lockhart, AL. I'm hoping I can grow them in AL too. They are breath taking in numbers. Just amazing flowers! Best wishes to you all!
Smiles,
Jennifer

Lockhart, AL

HYPERLINK@aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu

Ooops, I forgot to ad the link. - Jennifer

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Jennifer, are these growing on the banks when you turn on 331 south toward Wal-Mart? If that's the ones you're talking about, they are rain lilies which is one of the atomasco lilies. You can order them from some flower catalogs. One year someone did a co-op here with rain lilies. I got a few. I see one every now and then.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Atamasco lily was my first thought - there's a big patch of them - probably covers 1/2 acre - right at the edge of the Saugahatchee Creek swamp in the woods on the farm I grew up on in Lee Co., AL. Moved one clump of them up here to KY, but they didn't survive.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Lee Co, Alabama is my home grounds Lucky_P. No wonder your handle is lucky. You grew up in God's country.
I lived in Opelika until 1978. There is another poster on here from Auburn. Right off I can't remember her name but it will come to me. We got to chatting and we knew a lot of the same people. Small world.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

My first guess was Rain Lily but I asked my wife and she said it wasn't. Just goes to show experts don't know everything. LOL

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Woo-hoo!
Was out mowing & spraying around some of the trees in the yard, and it looks as though one of the Atamasco lilies I moved up here several years back actually did survive! I've got one blooming right now.

Augusta, GA

I have rain lilies growing and doing well in Augusta, GA but it may be another type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.