Mystery Flower???

Lockhart, AL

Hello all!
I found this flower in DeFuniak Springs, FL. They were part of the landscaping provided by the city. However, I contacted the city and they could not tell me what the flower was called or where to find it. So...I am asking for help. The foliage is closely related to amarylis or daffodil, just much smaller. The blooms are lilly like and start out pinker around the edges and turn more white as they mature. The blooms are about 3" to 4" long and about 3" wide when open. The stems have a dark purple "skin" just below the bloom and the remaining stem/foliage is green. I'm sure it is a bulb of some sort, but I have not dug them up. Any help out there?
Thanks a bunch!
Smiles,
Jennifer

Thumbnail by jenniferpy1
Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Jennifer - It looks somewhat like a Crinum lily, which has many flowers coming out of the center of the stalk/stem...its difficult to tell though because they have this planted in a vase or container...or were they cut flowers?

If they were cut flowers it could also be an LA lily or trumpet liy...no way to tell for sure from just this picture...sorry!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Jennifer,

Subscribers [just $15 per year] have access to an Identification Forum where pictures can be posted of unknown plants. If you don't get an ID soon, I'll post the above information there for you.

Welcome to Dave's!!

Judy

Union Grove, AL

Looks a lot like an atomasco (sp) lily, native to Florida or escaped, haven't seen one since I was there in the 70's so take this with a grain of salt

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Jennifer,

Here is a link to the lily bermudakiller referred to and if the picture of yours was in the stage just before it opened fully it appears Bermuda is correct. Great going Bermuda!!!

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/zepata.html

close up picture http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/zepata2.jpg

Judy

Union Grove, AL

Thanks Judy, lucky shot and I had loved em but they didn't survive in TN where i lived at the time, hope they might be, nicE link
Jeff

Lockhart, AL

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - EVERYONE!
You've all been so helpful! From the link provided, I have determined that this flower is indeed an atomasco lily. I've never seen them until now. They are thriving in DeFuniak Springs, FL. We just moved to a home about 30 mins north of DFS in Lockhart, AL. I'm hoping I can grow them in AL too. They are breath taking in numbers. Just amazing flowers! Best wishes to you all!
Smiles,
Jennifer

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

That one link says it's invasive... Enjoy it, but keep it reigned in!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.