What is an excellent azalea choice for our area? zone 6

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My mom and I have lost several of these plants over the years. Anyone growing them successsfully? Do you have them in full sun? ect?
Thanks,
Teresa

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I have an azalea that is a beauty and seems to like it in partial shade.
It is formosa.It has large leaves and is pretty all year round. I don't have
any in full sun.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, is that a pic from this month? It is so pretty.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

No, it is from last year it has gotten larger this year when it blooms I will take a pic for you.Those tulips need to be moved because they are in the middle of it now.lol

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 11:09 AM

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

You know I saw an article on a new azaela I am planning on trying called encore it is suppost to be a rebloomer.Have you heard of those?

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 8:42 PM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

No, I haven't but anything that reblooms is interesting to me. I am trying to increase my number of reblooming iris also.

cc. what is your first name?

Teresa

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

It is Celeste

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

My azaelas are fixing to pop so as soon as they do I will post a pic for you.I saw that encore azalea add in a magazine and now I can't find anything about them. Does anybody know? Maybe I got the name wrong
They are suppost to bloom spring ,summer, and fall and they are new.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I asked at Bowling Green an they are not stocking it either. The ENCORE ones sound great. I also had an add in my Sunday paper about them.
Teresa

Frankfort, KY

First off you need to plant azaelas hardy to your area. None of this florist stuff you get for Mother's Day. I am in Zone 6 and I have White Lights. They prefer partial shade.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Teresa
Hi
After bragging about formosa she isn't putting out the blooms like last year and the year before I didn't put fertilizer on her like I normaly do so I guess I am to blame.Here are some pics of a one I got five years ago for 1.50 in walmart parking lot. They had marked them all down because of lost tags if anyone knows this ones name let me know because I wish I had bought more she always puts out the blooms and I don't have to fertilize her.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

kyjoy, where did you find White Lights? I will ask about those in my area.
I love azaleas and would like to have at least a couple. I may try them on the southern side of my house so they might get a little more protection from the winter cold and winds.
Teresa

Frankfort, KY

I purchased them at Wilson's Nursery in Frankfort. They require some shade. When you purchase any azalea make sure it's hardy in your zone and plant according to directions.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 12:29 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.