Backyard habitats

Frankfort, KY

I am new to Dave's Garden, brand new. Terryr found me under Shrubs and asked me to move over here. He/she says you all mostly post pictures, however, I will be glad to answer questions regarding this topic and make suggestions as to plantings if asked. Otherwise, I am looking forward to participating.

Hi kyjoy & a hearty welcome to Dave's Garden! You share a common interest with many of us here! It seems that a love of animals and of gardening goes hand-in-hand for quite a few, doesn't it? Can you tell me what kinds of wildlife you've been attracting & providing for? I'd love to hear & do share pictures if you have them.

Like you, almost everything in my yard has been planted with wildlife in mind. With our drought conditions in the SW I am ever more mindful of providing for their basic needs especially water. I have a good 30 feet of thick evergreen Indian Hawthorn shrubs on the west side of my home and it has been a treat to see all the birds that made it their home all winter. I had a garter snake in there all last summer too On my hikes I see that the desert still has some plants with seeds but they will be depleted eventually. I certainly am hoping for rain. I have put up a feeder and wll probably put up more if this drought continues. Any plants I put in this year will have to be seed or berry bearing. Sunflowers, I love!

LOL, sorry you got me started???? Welcome again!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

kyjoy, Welcome. I too have been a certified Wildlife garden. for several years. Have many birds. When I moved here about 11 years ago, there was nothing except native wild grasses and sagebrush. This is desert country. First thing I did was plant trees, even before my house was in place.

Now have many trees, and other plants. Feed birds all year, have 6 or 7 birdwaterers, a bluebird trail ( first pair of bluebirds for this year showed up today) Lots of robins. A pair of phoebes. The Goldfinches stay year round.

DonnaS

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

lol...I'm a she! kyjoy, what kinds of plants do you have? Same question to angele and Donna. What all do you have to bring in the wildlife? What would you say is your most favorite berry producing shrub for birds? What perennial seems to have the most attractive seed that the birds love? What about bats? Do you do anything in particular to make your habitat more attractive for bats? For coons and possums? Are your gardens informal? Do you use every available space to create your habitat? We don't have a big lot, but I want to use up all the space for my habitat. Do you use natives? Or a mix? Doesn't matter? I lean towards natives.

We moved into this house a year ago and we've got a lot of work to do. We've removed trees, shrubs, perennials and about 1/4 of the sod. We've still got a tree, 50 ft of hedge and 3 other shrubs to remove and then replace. Most of what I took out was invasive and some was just planted wrong...trees to close to the house, to close to the sidewalk etc. I want to plant berry and seed producing plants. I want to make a brush pile, a bog....my list goes on. I too want to have a certified wildlife habitat.

I look forward to discussions regarding our different approaches to attracting the wildlife. What works and what doesn't.

Terry

Hello and welcome to you.

My property is certified Acres For Wildlife. All plants that are purchased or propagated for introduction to my wetlands and natural ponds, lowland woodlands, upland woodlands, and very small but growing prairie are plants that are indigenous to North America with the vast majority being local genotype from my specific region. I do have non native plants that aren't invasive up in tight around my home as well as in a tiny orchard. We're big into native fruiting herbaceous perennials and woodies. We have blue bird trails, bat habitat, bee habitat, fox habitat, and in general... lots of habitat. Habitat is a good thing!

I, like terryr, work at removing all the exotic invasive species.

Frankfort, KY

Here's most of what I have planted in alphabetial order:

Abelias (glossy white); Aboretae (Emeral Green); Ajuga (shade garden); Artemisia (Wormwood); Asters; Astible (shade garden); Asters; Azalea (White Lights); Balloon Flowers; Begonias; Bearded Iris; Bleeding-Hearts (shade garden); Boxwoods, variety of; Butterfly Bushes, variety of; Clemantis; Coleus; Columbine; Cone Flowers; Coreopsis; Cranesbill Geraniums; Crepe Myrtles; Dead Nettle; Dianthus; Dusty Miller; Ferns, variety of; (shade garden); Flowering Crab Apple Tree; Forget-Me-Nots; Forsythia; Geraniums; Green Velvet Boxwoods; Hen and Chicks; Hollies (China Girls , I need a male); Hostas, variety of; (shade garden); Impatients; Inkberry Holly; Jacob's Ladder (shade garden); Japanese Maple (Bloodgood); Japanese Toad Lillies (shade garden); Japonica; Lillies, Liriope; Multi-stemmed Serviceberry; Mums, variety of; Nandinas, variety of; Northern Bayberry; Oakleaf Hydrangeas; Ornamental Cabbage and Kale; Ornamental Grasses; Petunias; Primrose (very invasive); Phlox; Pryacantha (Scarlet Firethorn); Rhododendrons (shade garden); Roses, variety of, mostly hybrid teas, a few climbers; Salvia; Scabosa; Sedum (Autumn Joy); Sunflowers; Verbena; Veronicastrum (shade garden); Viburnum, variety of; Weigela; Winter King Hawthorns; Yarrow; Zinnia;

I have decided to plant two Flowering Quinces (bushes) this spring to see how they do.Also, you will note, I don't have many bulbs. The rabbits and squirrels eat them. Same with pansies. The rabbits love them.

Is there any reason why you are using so many introduced species for a wildlife garden? Most species of North American fauna (mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, etc.) co-evolved over tens of thousands of years with species of flora that were native. In other words, they derive little or no substantive benefits from the planting of introduced species and often times, the existence of these species is detrimental to them.

The Chinese Forget Me Nots (Cynoglossum amabile) as well as the Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia spp.), although very attractive, are very invasive and wildlife habitat restorationists are out there attempting to remove them from ecosystems. Come to think of it... depending on which species of Dead Nettle, Ornamental Grasses (need the Latin names), and a few others you have chosen above, you may have more species that are deemed invasive or noxious.

Here is Kentucky's invasive species list however it is currently under revision so it might be best to contact a few other resources if you are interested-
http://www.se-eppc.org/ky/list.htm

Frankfort, KY

Equilibrium:

I appreciate your concern, however, I am not a purist. The larger of the ornamental grasses are for privacy from the neighbors, both for me and the wildlife. All three are non-invasive. My Butterfly Bushes speak for themselves. They also attract bees which all gardens need. These too are non-invasive. The Dwarf Fountain Grass is primarily ornamental, however, it does provide shelter for the toads. Forget-me-Knots, according to the book, are good for woodland settings. Besides, I like them. As for the Dead Nettle, I forget why I planted it. Probably because I like it too.

One of the ones I rely on heavily is entitled Kentucky Gardner's Guide by Denny McKeown. Another is Fred Wiche, known around these parts at the Weekend Gardner.

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

Sounds beautiful kyjoy.

Thumbnail by DanaDW

kyjoy, since you seem to be the only one to answer my question, would you mind answering the other questions I had? Tell me what plant attracts what.

Lauren, if you read this, would you elaborate more on what all you've got planted and what is the biggest attractor for your various creatures? I'm enchanted by what you've already said. I can't wait to come up (?) and get some sambucus from you!

Thanks,
Terry

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here are some of the shrubs I have planted for the wildlife in the past 11 years.

Aronia arborfolia, Red Chokeberry.

Buddeleia Dubonnet, also Emmpire Blue, Niche's Choice, Black Knight, White Harlequin These do not appear to be invasive in this dry climate, and the butterflies and bees love them

Several Cornus, I especially like Cornus mas , ocassionaly I see a berry but birds always eat them as soon as they are riipe.A Cotoneaster grafted as a standard. The robins especially like those berries in early spring.

Ilex verticulata Jim Dandyn and Ilex verticulata Soouthern Gentleman, Winter Red, and Sunset. They , the females produce a nice drop of fruits, and I guess the birds like them as there are none left now.

I planted Prunus virginicum (Ithink ) 2002m but haven's seen any fruits on it.

Planted a Pyracantha (don't know which one) and it has never had any flowers or fruits in 10 years.

A Ribes odoratum just outside the fence.

Have 6 or more varieties of Sambucus, which the birds love.

Have several varieties of Viburnum which the birds don't seem to like

Besides my fruit trees, which I didn't plant for the birds, but that they think I did. The Cedar Wax wings love the 10 trees of Prairie Fire Crabapples more than any other No Coons orfruit in my yard. There are two other Crabapples, which the robins are cleaning up.

No coons or possums in my immediate area, which is fine by me. There are bats, I did not put up any bathouses for them, but they like the garage if I leave the doors up. One evening last summer my son and grandson counted 10 that they could find with flashlights.

One of the birds favorite shrub/trees is the native Service berry. I hardly ever get to taste one fruit. They also love the white mulberry tree, I maybe got 6 or 7 fruits from that tree, and it is pretty large now.

I plant informally and use as much space in my 5 acres as I can afford to irrigate, and have time to take care of.

DonnaS

Hey best wishes to you with your gardening adventure kyjoy!

Quoting:
Lauren, if you read this, would you elaborate more on what all you've got planted and what is the biggest attractor for your various creatures?
Hey Terry, you've run across me before so you know I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination however please understand that it isn’t necessarily all that I’ve planted here that is an attractor but more so what I have removed. I presume this is the statement that has you enchanted-
Quoting:
they derive little or no substantive benefits from the planting of introduced species and often times, the existence of these species is detrimental to them

For Terry, Here are two threads that may help you understand why I made that statement. It truly isn’t in the best interests of North American wildlife to plant non-native species identified as invasive as one may directly or indirectly be destroying that which they were attempting to preserve-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/574102/
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/563787/
When you have an extra 15 minutes or so, follow the links in the threads and please take a few minutes to read them and then I will give you my e-mail address and home phone number if you want specific information on other plants. There truly are extremely valid reasons why some plants are invasive and most unfortunately, downstrokes to these plants don’t appear on the pretty tags when people buy them or in the descriptions of the plant underneath photos of plants in mail order catalogs. And Terry, you are more than welcome to visit my property, I’ve planted thousands of species specifically for critters and I do share.
Given where you live, I’m going to toss another thread in for you that might be of interest to you-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/462128/

Here’s a thread that touches on some of the issues of Buddleia spp.-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580143/
Here’s an interesting link to an individual who has a sense of humor-
http://www.nwnews.com/editions/2005/050801/home_garden1.htm
What I find so wonderful is that this writer summed up the issues with invasive species quite nicely with these simple comments, “Once in the wild, the five invasive garden plants launch an aggressive campaign to kill off the native vegetation that supports wildlife.” One of the five plants she was referring to was Buddleia.

Wildlife gardeners create quality habitat. Habitat creation meets the needs of the critters by providing food, water, shelter, and space to raise their young. Wildlife gardeners are stewards to the land. North American wildlife and native plant species will become increasingly more dependent upon our responsible choices to stave off extinction of many threatened and endangered species as well as to ensure thriving populations. Quality wildlife habitat can and is being created on corporate, private, and public lands but it doesn't happen over night.

Summit, NJ(Zone 6b)

Terry,

You might find the book “American Wildlife and Plants: A Guide to Wildlife Food Habits” by Alexander C. Martin, and A. L. Nelson useful. It's not something I'd ever read cover to cover, but it let's you know which animals and birds eat a given plant, and what plants a given animal or bird prefers. Amazon also carries it, but I linked to Barnes and Noble since they include what the book cover looks like.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0486207935&itm=1

Kyjoy,

Hope you don’t my mentioning that since many invasive plants are spread by wind or wildlife, the invasiveness may affect areas far from the original plant, and not be seen at the original location.

For me the other nice thing about planting natives,is that I actually think what's happening to wildlife in natural areas is more important than what's happening in my tiny backyard. I'm much more comfortable planting what won't be harming habitat if it spreads

Lori

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 8:20 AM

Frankfort, KY

Lori,

I'm going to print your note out and pass it on to my neighbor. I'm getting tired of digging up baby oak trees.

http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1971/

Here's a neat little internet tool-
http://www.enature.com/native_invasive/

I reside in Illinois but find myself increasingly dependent on Wisconsin and Minnesota resources-
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/gardens/nativeplants/index.html
http://www.dunes-calumetaudubon.org/TEXT/landscaping/wisconsin.PDF
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/greenacres/wildones/handbk/wo15.html

One of the best books I have on the subject for me is-
http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1461/

Lauren, it was this

Quoting:
We have blue bird trails, bat habitat, bee habitat, fox habitat, and in general... lots of habitat. Habitat is a good thing!

that had me the most enchanted. I'm not a native purist either. But the majority of my plantings will be native. Coming from corn country, I'm having a really hard time trying to find anything from my local genotype. The best I can do is The Natural Garden up in St. Charles. They just don't carry much in the way of trees or shrubs, if they even have any. Nurseries around here carry all the exotic things you can think of, with a bunch of invasives thrown in. I haven't heard of anybody in town having a problem with deer. My parents have deer out in the country, but none here. BTW....your 15 minute estimate [of reading] was more like 1 1/2 hours!

Donna, thank you for the list! Now to do a search on what they are :) Coons and possums are around. I saw a possum a block down last 4th of July driving home. The coons I hear at night. We're rehabing an old house. Last spring, I came in to hear my carpenter telling me I had a bat. Couple days later, another bat. They can't get in the house now, but I just think they're neat little creatures. I bought my dad a bat house years ago and it gets used, so maybe I should ask for one for myself.

Lori, thanks for the link! I think I'm going to check to see if the library has this one first before I buy.

kyjoy, I'll trade you. You can come help my dad get rid of jap honeysuckle and multi flora rose, and I'll come dig up some oak volunteers. :o)

And it tells me somebody else posted.......Lauren I'll read those next.......

Frankfort, KY

I'm glad that you picked up on the fact that my note was tongue-in-cheek.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, Kyjoy - I only get on DG on the weekends - just too busy - but you've got the experts with you here!! I've got 3 acres and have been registered as a Habitat for about a year. For me, it's been one step at a time - water was the biggy for me!! After I got the water garden in, all kinds of new critters started to come around. This year, I'm trying to attract Blue Birds and Baltimore Orioles. Folks here have been a big help! Here's a pic of the water garden - let me know if I can help at all.

Thumbnail by dax080

Best way to start is by identifying as many exotic invasive species on your property as is possible. Then you begin to control, manage, and preferably eradicate them which you have already been doing a bang up job of. Next is to reduce dependency on chemicals and steer clear of using any type of Cedar or dyed mulches anywhere on your property. If you already have them, leave them be but consider not adding any more. Cedar is particularly bad.

Water is a critter magnet just like Dax said. A small affordable preform picked up at the end of the season can be a really nice means by which to add a water feature. Speaking of a WOW water feature! Nice pond Dax!

The bluebird trails we can discuss by e-mail, on the phone, or in person because that subject could very easily become political and I don't want to get into politics but here's a site to get you going-
www.sialis.org
You WILL get lost at this site! I can guarantee it. I have blueprints for several different styles of nesting boxes if you are interested.

Regarding native bees, I'm mostly interested in Mason Bees because introduced parasitic wasps are wiping them out but I plant for Bumbles too. Blocks are discussed here but when you come by me, I have a drill with a bit the perfect size and I could help you make a few- http://magazine.audubon.org/audubonathome/audubonathome0601.html
Here's where I get bees-
http://www.knoxcellars.com/

Fox habitat is a little bit trickier and they do require space but they relocated a few here last year so I had to do something quick. As luck would have it, I had a 200 year old oak tree with a cavity that was evidently perfect. I can show it to you.

Bat habitat is fun. I have plans for you to create the proper housing for the species we have in our region if you are interested. This thread, has the information in it that would most benefit you-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/470487/

Brush piles are a major bonus whether you live on a postage size lot or on a few acres. I have photographs of a few I have created somewhere.

There's a book that you may be interested in titled, "The Forgotten Pollinators" by Stephen L. Buchmann and Gary Paul Nabhan. I haven't had a chance to read the entire book but so far it's looking very good.
http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1972/

editing to replace a broken link with an updated link that is active.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2008 6:57 PM

Dax, love the pond! What all do you have planted?

Lauren, that's me. I'm on the postage sized lot. Right smack dab in the middle of my little town. I really do love my house, my yard.....well....it needs lots of help. My goal is to NOT have any grass (as in lawn grass). And since City Hall is just one block behind and katty corner, I should have no problems being hidden away :) I love ponds, but with such a small lot, I'm not sure where. I need a wheel chair ramp put in out back this spring so my BIL can come bug, I mean visit, me whenever he feels like it. That's going to take up a lot of space. That's why I was thinking of a bog. That way I can grow things that like their feet wet, yet not really have a pond. Because if I had a pond, I'd want a POND. And the brush pile.....where? Somewhere, just not real clear yet on the exact spot. I had a fox come visit me when we lived in the next town over. I liked the fox. Neighbors didn't like the fox, but I liked the fox. I would love to see bluebirds and have them nest here. The sparrows I see now, don't do a thing for me. Not exactly the birds I want. I want to get what I can get here, and then help my dad (mom too!) get theirs the way "I" want it. And yes, he knows it. I haven't read all the latest links yet, but I will.

kyjoy, yep, I knew you were tongue in cheek. Does that mean it's a no to come help my dad? :o)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I bought and installed 2 Mason bee blocks a couple of years ago. I think they are slowly building in population. Have quite a few bumble bees too. They are such neat fellows.

DonnaS

Wauconda, IL

Kyjoy...I got it, LOL! And a belated welcome!

equil is a good friend of mine, and I hope this year to put up a mason bee house, with her help. I have bumbles that nest behind my back porch every year. Did you know you can pet bumblebees? Yes, you can! I have!

http://www.main.nc.us/naturenotebook/

Scroll down to the disclaimer section.

Seriously, the more native plants you have...the more wildlife you will attract. But, FYI, Swallotail larvae really love parsley. I plant some for them every year. Butterfly bushes do attract butterflies..but what really matters is their larval food source. Butterfly bushes are useless as larval food, they're invasive, and practically any other native forb would do just as well for a food source for the adults. I plant Asclepius Tuberosa for butterfly food. It has worked well for me.

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I have some Asclepius Tuberosa on order (also silene, a few other "larval food" type plants), crossing my fingers it will do well here. Ordered mine from HCG because their plants seem to do better in my odd neck-of-the-woods than from most mail order nurseries.

Funny to me that people order bees, mine came with the property. Lots and lots of bees. Of course we are in a largely "undeveloped" corner of the world. I couldn't stand to live around herds of humans.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2006 6:39 PM

Wauconda, IL

I've been to Pahrump, NV, and Elko, and Stateline, and Reno and Carson City and Virginia City, and Wally's Hot Springs and Guru Lane..... I love Nevada. Not because of Las Vegas. Because of the desert. And the Sierra Nevadas. And Mount Rose. I really love the Black Rock Desert. I'd live in NV in a heartbeat if it didn't get so hot in the summer!

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I love the heat, it keeps people away. Keeping people away is what makes Nevada what it is, when that changes it will be just another "planned community" like so many states are now.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have been away for past week. A friend and I drove to Wenatchee to catch the bus to go on our once or twice a year trip to Reno. I surprised that it was colder all the way than it was here at home, but of course the elevation is higher. The bus goes south on Hwy 97 through Bend, Or, where we stay the first night, then two nights in Reno, and back home by way of Winnemucca and Ontario, OR. Was a fun trip, a smaller group than usual, only 25 people, usually about 40. Anyway had a good time, but always glad to get back home.

I am pretty much an organic gardner, I depend on the birds to keep the bugs under control.

Not many of the plants I grow would be considered invasive in this area. One of the buddelias does volunteer occasinally. I have two or three varieties of Asclepias, but have never seen any Monarch cats on them.

DonnaS

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I like to watch that new show on Animal Planet about back yard habitats. I would like to work on my yard but I don't know exactly what to do. We have a great little creek about 20 feet or so from the back of our house. The problem is, it floods a few times a year so I don't know what I can plant that could stand the floods but live good between floods. The back yard is mostly sand and rock on the lower level. We have a bridge that would be good for bats to roost under. I have seen bats flying around at night but don't know if they are roosting under the bridge or in a crack in the surrounding mountains. We've had a few possums go ambling by and we feed about 30 wild ducks in our back yard. I want to put out a few bird feeders as I have seen a few birds coming around for the duck's corn. Our back yard is VERY small so I know I can't do much with it. Another problem for me is my whack happy husband. He wants the yard to look like a golf course. But I must admit, he has done a good job of keeping the Kudzu in check. One more thing against me is that we have a power line that goes across our little back yard so I can't have any trees. I managed to salvage one from the power company but they cut the top out of it. I think it is a gum tree. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Quoting:
Our back yard is VERY small so I know I can't do much with it.
Oh so not true! Just you wait until spring comes and I will go out and photograph a few homes that have postage stamp sized lots that look like an oasis amongst the barren manicured golf lawns. There is one in particular that stands out in my mind that I could just move into. The Brits are experts at this style of gardening and you should see what they can pack in to one square foot- amazing, simply amazing. There are quite a few members here who have small yards that rival this one bungalo style house with the fabulous landscaping I am thinking of and your teeth will fall out of your face once you see all that can be done. Please share what types of critters you want to attract to your yard? Regarding that area that floods a few times a year, you don't know how lucky you are to have that. There are specific plants that will only grow in those types of areas that are so knock down drag out gorgeous that it isn't even funny.

I doubt the species of bats indigenous to your region are roosting under that bridge but stranger things have happened. They have very specific housing requirements and although they may be flying under it for their meals, it is doubtful that bridge is high enough for them to drop down and attain lift.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to have birds, butterflies, possums, frogs and salamanders or geccos. It will need to be deer resistant as we have them come pretty close to the house. You have me getting excited about possibilities now. I have seen orange daylillies growing wild along the roadsides here, Would they be good for my flood areas? Bear in mind that these are like flash floods. They come up quickly, move very fast and are gone within hours. It must be something with a good root system I would think.

What County are you in down there in Kentucky?

Do you like moths that flit around at night too?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am in Martin County. We are in the mountains. I like moths. When I was a kid I remember those big ice green ones. I think they are called Luna moths. They were bigger than humming birds. I have been puttering in my yard all day. I have been very sick for nearly 2 weeks so I don't have the energy to actually work in the yard, but it was nice to putter. I repotted my strawberry jar and planted a hanging bag of strawberries my DH got at Walmart. Then I planted 1 tomato plant as an experiment. It is planted hanging upside down in a gallon jug. I saw something similar in a seed catalog and figured the gallon jug would work just as well so we shall see. I also went to the dollar store and bought a bird feeder and some bird seed. I'm nearly pooped. I took some pictures of my back yard this morning. As soon as I get them uploaded I'll send them so you guys can give me some help. I need all the help I can get. I need some suggestions on the best place to plant my blackberry bush I just bought. I love blackberries.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

CajuninKY, Welcome and I sure hope you continue to feel much better so you can enjoy your garden. I take it from your name that you have previously lived inLA. My oldest son and his wife have lived in Baton Rouge since they married over 25 years ago.

I too really like blackberries. I grow 2 thornless ones in a caged area, so that the birds can't eat all of them. Your area is slightly warmer than my 5 to 5b zone. I have very alkaline soil too. I grow my blackberries in full sun I also irrigate from April to Oct.

DonnaS

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Rutholive,
Yes, I was bred and born in South La. I lived an hour south of NO. The little community is called Dulac. It is on Bayou Grand Caillou. I loved it there but it is quickly being eroded into the gulf. I am afraid that when it is gone, a whole way of life will have passed from this earth and that is sad.
We love it here in Kentucky. I hope to live out my life here if the Lord says the same. The climate is great and the people are friendly and down to earth. Just like me. LOL
My sister and her husband lived in Baton Rouge while they were going to LSU. Then they moved to Knoxville. My BIL worked at Oak Ridge and my sister worked as a social worker. Then she had twins and later another son. By then they had moved to Texas and she went back to school. Didn't like the social work anymore so now she is a PT. They have moved quite a bit with my BIL's work. They lived in WA also in a town called Keniwick. I think that was the spelling. I have a cousin who lives in Olympia. It rains a lot there. Are you on a different side of the state from them? I thought that might be why you need to irrigate.
My brother has an impressive blackberry patch. He lives north of Lake Ponchatrain in Southeast La. I don't know the name of the berry but the fruit is as big as my thumb and it is a heavy producer. I want to get some more plants from him. He had given me some for my house down the bayou and I left them when I moved. My mom has a patch of them also.In fact, that is where my brother got his start. They live only a few miles apart. I talked to my mom this morning and she said my poppa had fertilized their patch and they are green and beautiful. They are hoping for a bumper crop this year. My mom loves to make cobbler and preserves with hers. Blackberry dumplings are good too.
My mom also gave over 20 plants to my FIL and they are doing great.
My inlaws only live a mile from my folks so it makes it nice when we go to visit. My son and his family live next to my mom so we get a lot of visiting done when we are there.
It is time to get back out in the yard. I am planting some wild flower seeds around a big rock. It is a spot that goes unused otherwise so I figure it will be an improvement. I hope the seeds will grow in the mostly sand soil. The kudzu doesn't have a problem with it. I hate kudzu!!!!!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

CajuninKy. Yes I live east of the Cascades and we don't get a lot of moisture. Actually we are I hope coming out of 4 years of droughth, We got more moisture than usual this winter, mostly in the form of rain. Supposed to rain on and off this weekend. I am already irrigating as si getting dry.

Tomorrow I must plant my garden peas., spinach , lettuce, etc.

Came through Kenniwick last weekend on the way home from Reno. Didn't stop.

Nice to read your post.

DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.