Potatoes and other stuff

South Elgin, IL

Has anyone ever tried growing potatoes in a garbage can? Does it work? When would you start this in zone 5? What type of potato works best? Also, What does it mean when they say you can plant lettuce seed as soon as the ground can be worked?That sounds very subjective to me. Will the seed still sprout if the air temperatures drop below freezing? I am new at some of this so any advice would be appreciated!!! By the way I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I tried 'em in a container and they just didn't grow well at all compared to the ones in the garden. Just my experience.

Depends on the lettuce. I can grow cold-hardy greens year round with a little "frost blanket" lying over it. You can choose a mix of winter greens, or a mix of spring greens, or summer, or specific varieties that withstand frost well (like Forellenschluss sp?) from a large number of seed vendors. I sprout them indoors in a flat covered with plastic. When they get their second set of true leaves, I transplant into a bed with the cold frame or row cover (frost blanket).

South Elgin, IL

Thanks Zeppy!! I ordered the seeds for the forellenschluss ( you did spell it correctly. that's a mouthful) I guess I will abstain from the garbage can potatoes , it sounded too good to be true anyhow.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

potatoes in a can sounds like potatoes grown in tires...adding more and filling with dirt as the plant gets taller...

I tried it last year...yea it worked but I dont think I got any more potatoes than when I just planted them in the ground..

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you are pressed for space, Tater towers do work. http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/tatertowers.htm
http://www.gpb.org/public/tv/gardening/shows.jsp?episid=991&catid=1025 In the days of threshing machines, we use to lazy-bed. ie plant potatoes in the ground and cover with layers of straw. Same principle as is used in the Tater towers. "Straw: For centuries, Scandinavians have grown potatoes in stacks of straw or other mulching material. Potatoes are planted above ground in the straw, and as the vines begin to grow, additional straw` or mulch is mounded up around the base of the plants. This results in a yield of very clean potatoes. New potatoes can be harvested easily even before the potato vines mature completely. " Note that we planted them in the ground, straw has to somewhat decomposed before you could plant directly into it. I prefer straw or hay, wholeleaves sometimes lead to problems with rot. Probably work if they were shreeded first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.