I was surprised by the fragrance of

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Nasturtiums. They smell like roses. I kept smelling a rose like fragrance and couldn't figure out where it was coming from on the patio. I have the nasturtiums in hanging baskets(they're supposed to be the vining kind from Burpees, but so far no vines) and I'd set them on the patio to give them a good soaking. I figured out what smelled so good when I lifted the baskets up to hang them. I wonder if they only have fragrance at night? I've never noticed it during the daytime.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Reading about the wonderful fragrant flowers in the forum really gets me.
Over the last couple of years I "ve lost most of my sense of smell and you have no idea how frustrating it is to view beautiful blossoms, remembering their fragrance from the past but smelling nothing now. Hyacinth by my kitchen door are driving me crazy, beautiful color--nothing more! Daffadils everywhere--just pretty colors!

Interestingly, I think I can still taste, but I wonder, since the two senses are so closely related.

Enjoy the beautify and the fragrance--I took it for granted so long!!

Gessie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 4:50 PM

Gessie, I have a friend who was born with very limited sense of smell. She gets so frustrated. She can't smell hyacinths either.
She also couldn't smell a skunk if it was right under her nose and it doesn't bother her at all if her dog plays in the creek and gets all stinky!
She says she can taste food and there are some things she can smell, like spices and a few other scents.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Calalily, thanks for the comment. I didn't mention that I too can smell a few things (interestingly spices, some mints) but thought it sounded contradictory to my comment. But, oh how I miss the scent of roses, etc.
Gessie

It would be terrible not to be able to smell roses and hyacinths. I love the fragrance of hyacinths.
I have discovered it is the yellow/gold nasturtiums that smell best. The scent is very light during the day, but in the evening, wow, they smell good.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I was weeding next to some Snapdragons the other day and followed my nose to one of the red ones. It was faint but it had a candy like sweet scent. I smelled the other colors and couldnt smell anything. Only the red ones had a scent. Ive grown snaps forever but this was new to me!
Caren

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Today I was raking under a pepperwood tree and smelled the most wonderful fragrance, but nothing is blooming nearby that I could see. Do magnolias have a fragrance and could it carry 500 feet?

Magnolias are fragrant, not sure how far it can carry.

Oh my goodness ... magnolias are *wonderful*!!! To me, they are up there with gardenias! :)
... Elaine

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Cala,
Do you know the name of those nasturtiums that smelled like roses?

I was wondering, also. That *really* had me stumped. I'd sure love to get a whiff of those. :)

The flowers are a gold color, they are Burpee brand. I will have to check and see if I have the envelope.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

THANKS!! I could always call them and ask which of their nasts smell like roses- LOL!

Yes, they might know.

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

I was so surprised to hear about the nasturtiums that smelled like roses that I googled "fragrant nasturtiums" and found these:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=1411&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Popular%20Search%20Main&SearchText=p16.v230;p16.v226;p11.v99&OfferCode=S1H

It doesn't say they smell like roses, but apparently they smell pretty good.

And this article http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/roses/fragrance.html says that one of the seven basic scents found in hybrid tea roses is the scent of nasturtiums!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If I may interject, one that surprises me every spring is my confederate jasmine. I love it. It lasts for a month and the scent hits you when you walk out on the back porch. Just one of my favorites in the scratch and sniff garden...

Two different kinds were fragrant. One was "Fordhook" and the other was "Whirlybird" both from Burpee seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.