Back to my roots

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

Due to a recent financial setback, I've really had to scrounge for ways to save, not only in the plant world, but my whole world. It's not all that difficult because many things are the way my Mom stretched Dad's paycheck to feed and clothe us all. But some things are new to me. Maybe they will be to you also:
I buy non-chlorine powered bleach and mix it 50/50 with baking soda. Less expensive and just as effective.
I cut my dryer sheets in half and they do just as good a job...and I only leave things in the dryer long enough to fluff them up, then hang them.
Coffee...I use the grounds twice. The first pot I use the normal amount, then for the second pot, I just add 1/2 the coffee and brew again. Still tastes great to me. But then I can't afford Starbucks.
Paper tissues - be it Kleenex, Puffs, or what-have-you. I receive a catalog that has all sorts of wonderful products that I remember from my childhood. Ladies handkercheifs, for one. Jogged my memory and I dug through my "stuff" until I found that stash I've kept for years, handed down from Mom, Grandma, Great Aunts et.al. Laundered, and folded into neat squares, I've been using them. Most are really lovely floral paterns made of super-soft cotton batiste. Sounds a little nutsy, but saves trees, money, and you just have to toss them in the laundry with the rest . Totally retro and feminine...

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!