Compost taking a while, how to speed it up?

Ashburn, VA(Zone 7a)

My pile was very warm for maybe 2 weeks (120-130 degrees) but now it has cooled down to about 90. It really does not seem to be breaking down like I hoped and has not shrunk in size much at all. It is mostly composed of shredded leaves, alfalfa, some grass clippings, some coffee grinds and blood meal was added (which made it heat up to 130) a while ago. I know that 'compost happens' but I'd liek advice for making it happen quicker. It is in a uncovered three sided compost bin in the shade and gets turned every week. I have no access to manure, but I do have blood meal, alfalfa cubes and dry molasses.

Also, when I turn it, I notice a white layer on the inner contents---almost like it is covered with ash but it is not. Any idea what that is? Thanks for any help.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The white stuff is mold. Good stuff usually found around the high nitrogen stuff. I always keep mine out in the sun. But I'm in Montana. Also moisture is important. How wet? I always try to have no more than 2 parts of leaf material (carbon) to 1 part of nitrogen (blood, grass, coffee). If you have more leaves it will be slow. Also I leave mine on the dirt so I can get lots of worms making babies in the compost.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Do you add kitchen scraps? I found that I got finished compost quicker when I started adding my kitchen scraps. I am not sure how fast you hope to get finished compost. I have two of the plastic compost bins, and I find that I get two harvests of compost out of each of them a year. Sometimes I think it is a lot of work for about 1 yard of compost, but composting can be fun and I have to do something with my yard waste.

The process slows way down for me during the winter. It sounds like you have a good mix of stuff there. I also usually mix in a few shovels of finished compost when starting a new pile. If you feel that you need more greens, you could try picking up a few bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks. I am sure it would not be too hard to track down some horse manure on the outskirts of Ashburn, if you wanted to go that route.

- Brent

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

The white stuff is usually found after a very hot composting. It is a sign that it is nearing completion.

You probably can not get it to heat up tremendously now that it has been "on fire" but you should continue to turn the pile over. If there is still alot of brown materials showing then add some bloodmeal or lawn fertilizer to get it going again (remember to wet it, too) but otherwise, it is time to let it cure for a few months.

Denver, CO

This is the mesophilic stage. White wet crust is very good. Just turn it, really.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Does airateing the fungus kill it? In medicine the yeasts and fungi are all anaerobic. (grow with diminished oxygen) Then something else takes over soil bacterias or is that what the worms, beetles, and centipedes eat? There must be a reason for decomposition needing Oxygenation. Cause it compacts rather quickly and returns to anaerobic environment.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like your pile is just through "cooking" . It is supposed to cool down after that. If you keep adding ingredients, it will never be finished. Just turn occasionally to aerate and it should be finished soon.

Karen

Denver, CO

In nature, you rarely find decomposition on such a large scale, where it compacts like our compost bins. Sometimes, the white film is not fungus, but other organisms. Bacteria and others need the air more- they break down material the fastest. The beetles eat very raw stuff, the worms eat partially decomposed stuff, and the centipedes eat other critters and turn them into micro-manure!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I just keep mine watered and turn every week or so. I always put in a layer of good soil every so ofetn as I'm building it to add good bacteria. Maybe a coupla handsful of powdered limestone is I have it.

Robert.

Denver, CO

Soil adds a ton of diverse bacteria.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Diverse Bacteria = manure in the veterinary profession

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Pour a beer on it (really)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have always thought that the garden gods apreciated that but I'm worried how much wailing a bleeding heart that got too much beer would do. Or how bout a worm getting a buzz and munchies and eating my vegetables. I will never pour beer on anything in my garden but my tongue. LOL

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

If you process the beer through your organs and then use it; it serves 2 purposes.
However, I enjoy a good drunken worm brawl on occassion.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

And "marking your territory" will keep some critters at bay, the natural way!

Robert.

YUK YOU GUYS LOL!!!!???? :0

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.