This is different

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Saw this hop vine trained over a pergola in a country garden. The owner used to be a brewer for many years but is now retired and had to have a memory of those days in the garden. It looked so nice and something completely different.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

hey Ferrymead we yanks have to grow these in our gardens just to get flavor in our beer. They are wonderful plants that grow like a weed.

There is a big hop growing area about 20 miles from here but I have never seen it grown in a home garden before. I know that the commercial growers harvest the hops and pull out the vines and replant every year. Does this mean that home gardeners have to replant every year or do they keep on growing.I

Muehlleiten, Austria(Zone 7b)

Hello,

The roots of the hop plant are perennial. The hop planters cut the vines aboveground off and the plant grows newly from the roots every year. In my area are a lot of wild hop plants. By the strong underground grew of the roots it can spread very quickly and strongly.

Dietmar

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I burn my plants to the ground and the next year they reach about 20 to 30' here in Montana. When I get home next week I'll show you a picture. Wonderful plant and here the deer won't eat it.

Have you eaten "hop asparaguses" before? No? You should try it sometime. Cut the young sprouts off and cook these like asparagus.

Dietmar

This is not a tip from a survival guide. One gets food in many restaurants in Austria from wild (native) plants. One has (re)discovered that many wild plants are healthier than many commercial vegetables.

Dietmar

Dietmar, well I never knew the hop was a perrienial, its growth habit is a bit scary for a home garen, reckon I wont put it in my little garden. Interesting that one can eat the sprouts.

Soferdig, you will have the chance to try cooking this. Will look forward to seeing your photo.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

great Idea. The fragrance is wonderful on my hops and I bet they can be eaten. My Grandfather was a brewmaster for Strohs in Detroit many years ago and he always taught me what to taste in a good beer. When I was 5 years old he would take me out to teach me the work ethic by moving a big pile of wood every year with him. As we stopped for a Schmersite, he would pour me a small glass of beer and tell me about making it. It has kept me from drinking American beers ever since. Unless they are micro brews.

Hop is also a medicinal plant. A tea from the female flowers (hop strobile) helps for a good sleep.This is the reason why beer makes tiredly.

Dietmar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.