Cypress vine germination

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I followed the directions on the seed pack to start these (ipomoea quamoclit) seeds. Soaked them overnight, planted in light, but after 3 weeks, nothing! Do they need darkness to germinate? Thanks.

Edinburg, TX

I tossed a handful onto some tilled soil in a flowerbed about 10 days ago. There are gobs of sprouts already showing their second set of leaves.

Never soaked them at all...just sowed them directly into the ground and covered them lightly with soil.

Then again...I'm in zone 9...our temperatures are in the high 80's to high 90's most days. That really warms up the ground.

~ Cat

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cat…perhaps I was a bit too impatient. I checked last night and sure enough all containers germinated.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree, heat would help.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I planted them a few years ago. They are beautiful plants and the hummers and butterflies love them. In Ga. they reseed abundtly, but they are slow to come up in the Spring. They became very invasive, coming up everywhere. They will take over if they are not controlled.

Union Grove, AL

they tend to come up in june here in 7b or later

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have heard from others, including PF, that they can be invasive. What if there is little or no structure for them to climb? Do they try an climb other plants?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.