Moving to Maryville, TN...what is gardening like there?

New Orleans, LA

I will be moving to Maryville, Tn soon. I see most homes there do not have any flowers. I visited there in January, so it might have just been because it was winter. I am wondering if I should bring some of my plants from New Orleans to Maryville. I am looking forward to talking gardening with new neighbors. Karen

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Karen, I'm sure you'll get some good advice from folks who live closer than I do, but if memory serves, Maryville (we lived in Knoxville for over a year, then Pigeon Forge for several months) is probably zone 7b-ish. Your hardier plants will do fine, but your frost-tender plants will have to be protected in the winter.

Midwest, United States

I found these links hope they help alittle.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/zipbyzip.php?zip=37801

I live in Morristown, about an hour away from Maryville. I don't know what weather is like in LA so I can't help there. Planting is good and if you plant it right, you can veggie garden all year round. I have had crocuses and daffs up for about a month now. Umm, hot months are late June, July and August.

Any specific questions??? Oh and roses seem to have a horrible time here with blackspot.

Kim

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

for roses go with your old garden (antique) roses - many do not get blackspot and do not require any "extra" treatment. There are plenty to choose from!

Of course I ALWAYS suggest daylilies if you have them. Not being familiar with what part of Tennessess that is I am not sure if you would need to have dormant ones or not. Hope you enjoy your new area! Be sure and send us pictures after you get your beds going!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You are moving to a very beautiful part of the country. I love to vacation in that general area. They actually have winter there, which will be a change for you. LOL I live in Kentucky now but am from La. I lived down the bayou in Dulac. It is an hour south of the city, below Houma. Two differences I like are that you can grow apples and rhodedendrons up here. I love rhodedendrons. They are in the azelia family so they remind me of home. Good luck with your move. Keep in touch.

Knoxville, TN

You'll see a lot of flowers in Maryville now that Spring is here. We have a real winter although it never gets too cold for too long.
A great place to find out what grows in the Maryville/Knoxville area is at the University of Tennessee trial gardens. They test plants to find the ones that grow best in this area. A stroll through the gardens is a great way to spend an afternoon and is always inspiring, especially when the Lotus are in bloom. They also sponsor a lot of gardening activities and classes either on their own or through FOG -- Friends of UT Gardens. www.friendsoftheutgardens.org

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.