EarthBoxes ?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Ok---don't slap me. But i have been ignoring the subjects about EBs cause I dont have one and haven't seen anyone sell them locally. SO, anyone care to educate this dummy and tell me what is an EB and how it works and why yall have a fit over them. :) :) :) :) And is it not cheaper to make them yourself? Homemade. If you set up your own then you wouldnt have to worry about future designs changing and getting the right parts.
The reason I am asking is cause I want to grow veggies in containers.
And strawberries. yummmmm.

Cricket

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

Earthbox, is a setup which water is always available; but is only absorbed when the plants need it. You see, between the soil and bottom of the earthbox there is a space (a reservoir). The soil is held by panel of plastic with small holes; the water is stored here.
How does the water get in the reservoir after all the soil is placed? The EB uses a pipe installed vertically while you add soil to the box. The bottom end of the pipe is in the reservoir. Water is poured the into the tube and in turn fills the reservoir; overflow holes on the side of the EB's prevent you from over filling your EB with water and prevents 'overwatering'.
So how does water get to the plant if there is a space between the soil and the water. There are two corners inside the EB that give soil access to the water, this is maybe a 4x4 or 6x6 (not 100% sure) inch spacing that lets soil fall in and have contact with water and from there it wicks the water to the roots. You will need good soil for that with maybe some peat moss and perlite.
How do plants get fertilized if there is a cover on at all times? You have to make a 'fertilizer band'. A fertilizer band is a 2" wide row across the length of the EB. You do this yourself with Oscomote or any other 'time-released' fertilizer. Not the blue water soluable stuff. Time and moisture of the soil in conjuction with the cover placed on the top of the EB covering the soil, will slowly but surely fertilize your plants...safely.
That should cover the basic idea of the EB.
As for trying to make your own. I would but I don't have the space or time to make my own, even though it seems rather easy to do. You will save time and money...and as long as you get even down packed you will have the equivalent. Not as pretty but the idea is there. On the internet there are websites that have instructions on how to do one yourself.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

THANK you very much. Very detailed information.

Cricket

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

No problem. Please, excuse my typos.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9a)

Crickets...you can research the science behind the Earthbox and actually buy them online. Just do a google search and put in Earthbox ...it will come up. I have several...see the pic below. Absolutely love them. I call it vertical gardening and you don't have to bend over!! Happy gardening...
Nancy

Thumbnail by nsleeper
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

yes i remember seeing yours in another thread ---believe it or not---when i saw yours I got interested. Nice neat interesting.

Cricket

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

For an EB, I don't think that you need a band of "time released" fertilizer. I use a much cheaper "common" fertilizer (10-10-10). The band is placed as far from the plants as possible and I assume nutrients either migrate through the soil or the roots search them out.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

oh gee. earthboxes are so expensive. just the box is $38.

do they really make your tomato plants grow more tomatoes? That seems unreal to me. Having problems imaging this.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a "grow box" that is made from a $7. 32 gallon plastic storage container, a piece of pvc pipe, and eight empty one gallon pots. I saw your greenhouse set up, so I know you already have soil and fertilizer! We made these as an experimental project in a Master Gardener workshop last year. I've never been successful with tomatoes, but I am now since I've used the box. I have the instructions, with photos if you'd like them. I'm not sure if it's okay to send them thru this forum. If you'd like them, D-mail me and I'l be happy to share them with you.

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

Earthbox just helps out with watering...and a time realeased fert...helps with ...well..fertilizing.

I think, since tomatoes need consistant watering....a box that wicks the water to the roots at the specific time the plant needs/wants it...it creates a good chance to cultivate more tomatoes. Although, if you know what you're doing...and are on top of your 'maters...then there is no need for one.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Flaks...if you can see the NYC skyline from your back yard and are surrounded by more concrete than dirt you need all of them you can get (lol). I'm up to 14 Earthboxes and with my continuing back problems that's most likely where it will stop. This is a shot of my patio from last June. As usual with the back problems, last July I decided it was the last year I would do the garden and here I am starting back at it again. I guess after 35 years your brain becomes programmed.

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thats a very nice patio garden.
Am I to assume that Earth boxes come in differant sizes?
Or do you have more Earth boxes around the corner?

Cricket

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Earthboxes only come in one size. There are 9 in that picture. I have 3 more I use with a large trellis for cucumbers and 2 I use for tomatoes in other places around my small yard. Yes they are expensive but very much worth the price for me and yes they perform exactly as advertised. I however do not use the chemical fertilizer stripe method. As per Earthbox's instruction sheet I mix into the soil 2 cups of a 100% organic 5-3-3 along with ½ cup each of bone meal and kelp meal at planting time. To use this method your fertilizer MUST be 100% organic with the vast majority of the nitrogen in water insoluable form. Otherwise you will burn the plants beyond repair using this method. This is a pic of a single EB with 2 Julliet grape tomato plants taken mid July. Couldn't count what I picked from these 2 plants but into 4 figures for sure.

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh
Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Also here's a pic of my cucumbers taken about 7 weeks after direct seeding into the EB's. You can't see them but trust me, there are 3 EB's set in an "L" shape with 4 plants per EB, 1 box each of Park's All-Season Burpless, Sweet Success & Cool Breeze. There are bell pepper plants in front of the EB's planted in ground.

Rich

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by ritchh
Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

That is well organized and very neat. Props to you Ritchh...its looks like youa re having great success...no reason to stop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.