zone 5 evergreen vines?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Okay, it seems like everyone on this forum lives in warmer zones! However, I'm in zone 5b, and I'm looking for an evergreen vine to cover the chain link fence in my backyard. Not only is the chain link not the prettiest of fences, but the new people who moved in out back have taken to putting their trash up against my fence. I'm a little sick of seeing trash every time I look out my back yard, and would be ok with a perennial (I think?), but would prefer a year-round barrier.

So, I'm looking for something thick that won't engulf my house. I've actually thought about English ivy, even though I know it could potentially cover my house. It doesn't need to have flowers, I just want something to cover up the trash. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kelly

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

I have to have vines that flower. A few of my favorites that I grow at my house are: Trumpet vine, clematis, halls honeysuckle, coral honeysuckle, and kolomikta vine (hardy kiwi). The trumpet vine and coral honeysuckle are two of my favorites because they attract hummingbirds and they are beautiful in full bloom. These vines are not evergreens though. Good luck in your search.

LD :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm no expert, but I'm finding most vines that can be evergreen are only evergreen in the warmer climates and that a lot of those vines may not even winter over in your zone.

You could put a lattice screen in front of that section, it would make the cans less visible during the winter and you could grow just about anything to cover it during summer.

Here's a lattice screen we put around our cans.

Thumbnail by azreno
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I had the same problem. I found a product at Home Depot called Wood Weave and spent a couple of weekends weaving it into my chainlink fence. Also seemed to help with the grass growing into the garden on my side seeing as they never weed whacked either. They moved a few months ago and there is a new couple that moved in. I've been toying with the idea of pulling out the Wood Weave as it does cut down on the natural light, but I think I'll wait until I see how the new people take care of their place. There is nothing worse than living next to people that do not take care of their yard. In my case, it truely was "good riddance to bad rubbish!".

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm leaning towards plants since I like the way they look, and I think they're probably cheaper than other alternatives (money's tight right now), although I did think about something to the effect of the weave for the fence. Larry, thanks for the plant suggestions. At least if I can't find any evergreen, I can try those.

I wonder how invasive English ivy really is?

Kelly

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Look this vine up in the plant files. Supposedly evergreen in z5. Good luck.

Vine, Trumpet Flower 'Tangerine Beauty' (Bignonia capreolata)

Denver, CO

Evergreen vines are my favorite woody things on this planet, so:

English Ivy won't grow into the chainlink without constant help, and a stretch like that could be hard to contain, although possible.
Bignonia is a great experiment- but not concretely evergreen (although still hardy) in your area . Akebia is the same way.

The only solid choice I can think of is a Lonicera japonica. When it flowers, you can smell it for a mile, and it is always evergreen provided the soil is not dry.
K. James

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

ditto...honeysuckle is a great choice for your situation and zone
-T

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

thanks for the suggestions. :)

Kelly

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hall's honeysuckle is a highly invasive plant. Please check your state's noxious and invasive weed list.
English Ivy:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1637/index.html
To search for plants:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well... sorry to hear the budget is restricted... my choice other wise would be to buy a length of the green shade cloth for greenhouses.. and place it over the fence... then a trellis in front to have the view stop before the covered fence... ... then any plants that you'd have for whatever part of the year would be showcased on the trellis.. and the fence and it's trash backing would be completely erased.. behind the trellis..
Gordon

Lambertville, MI(Zone 5b)

I have to deal with the same type of problem. I found the best solution was to plant a couple of evergreen shrubs by the fence and will keep them at a height of about 7-8 ft. I then planted flowers in front. This will give my flowers a solid backdrop and it will all be natural. You could even put some stone figurines and bird baths there to give it some focus. You look like you have the room.
Donna

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Something worse than looking at the neighbor's trash? How about smelling the toxic smoke of them burning it?

Denver, CO

I'd call the health department about that.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

You could do a planting of some Canadian Hemlock, and some tall grasses with perennials in front???? The canadian hemlock would be evergreen and the grasses you could let stand all winter and crop down the old in the spring, add some lilies or something there also for some color, some catalogs I have been browsind have the canadian hemlock starters for 3 for $2.95 or 6 for $5.75, there are all kinds of folks including myself who love to swap or send for postage, I could help with some grasses and perennials????
Laurrie

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Laurie, thanks for the offer! I hadn't thought of growing grasses before, but some of them should be high enough to cover the fence, shouldn't they? What kind of grasses do you have?

Kelly

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Kelly, I love grasses, because in winter months they usually for our zones would "die" but I leave them stand and don't cut back until spring when I see new growth starting to come up, I do this for 2 reasons, one being winter interest in my garden, and the other is for the birdies, they like the seed heads and they also use them for nest building, so for me grasses serve 2 purposes.

Now as far as what kind I have, hmmmmmm they are tall and get white plumes lol, I dont' know, I had gotten them in a trade a few years ago, no name at the time and I never tried to figure it out, but I do like them alot, I could get you started with a clump if you'd like to pay postage only, by clump I mean, I can split up my clump and you could plant 4-5 clumps across there, it would only take you a couple of seasons to really let them clump out more and you would have a nice barrier between those trash cans and your view ;)

I will see if I can find a photo, I might have one and not even know it, if so I will attach it here for you to see, I can tell you I am 5' 11" and they are taller than me by about a head or so. Ok cant' find one, and I already cut them back, but will keep looking to see if I can find an old photo somewhere for you

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

editing to say will post a photo when I find one, don't want to post a link that is not correct.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 2:03 PM

Beachwood, OH

Take a look at : http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1063.htm
WINTERCREEPER EUONYMUS (Euonymus fortunei)
This is an evergreen groundcover, 4 to 6 inches high, which can scramble 40 to 70 feet when placed on a structure. The range of leaf types is endless. The species has opposite dark green leaves that are an inch long or less. Flowers are greenish white and not very showy. Wintercreeper euonymus tolerates full sun and heavy shade. - I have this growing wild in a sunny area.

I have several different kinds that ramble along the ground and if given a toe hold on a tree will climb - mostly the native solid green variety. I think you could help this get started and then add roses, clematis, bignonia, honeysuckle, trumpet creeper, or any annuals to give flowers in warm weather. The good thing about all the euonymous is they take pruning so well so you could keep them close to the fence and not take up room unless you want to. If you went with a shrub maybe a yew would work for the same reason - fast growing and you can keep a yew trimmed to as narrow as 1 ft deep with no problem. A boxwood could provide you with a narrow hedge but they are perhaps a little more prone to browning out and are not quite as fast growing.

I went back and looked at your picture again - I would be reluctant to block garden light by obstructing the entire fence line if it was me. Maybe you could get up the nerve to ask if they think they are going to keep the cans there permanently so you can put up something on your side of the fence.

Denver, CO

Oddly enough, E. fortunei was planted as a large, free-standing shrub at the nearby college campus around the buildings. I get a laugh out of how it runs into the wall, but begins to climb it!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Kelly.......what ever you plant in terms of perennial or grasses is going to take a few years to mature....If your looking for a quick fix while the grasses are growing....you can always plant Morning Glory....

You have to be careful with grasses as there are not too many choices out there for the zone in which you live. Feather Reed Grass Calamagrostis acutiflora stricta grows in your area....It will grow up to 5 feet . In late spring flower stalks rise 2 to 3 feet above the foliage. It needs full sun.....

Zebra Grass or (miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' is another tall grass that is clump forming. This grass will grow 6 to 8 feet high. The flower stalks have these pinkish flowers that turn beige or orange brown in the fall....as as Ohio Breezy said...makes for some interesting winter interest.
It requires full sun...or light shade.....

There is also Maiden Grass, M.sinensis 'Gracillimus' that will reach 5 feet in height. You may have to bite the bullet and pay the bucks to get something that is gonna cover that area in a hurry.....

If your wanting some Morning Glory seed, I have some Grandpa Otis to share...Just let me know....have enclosed a picture of it....Makes beautiful blue flowers...

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and offers! I'm leaning toward clematis, and I like the idea of putting trellises to block the view there. It would look nice between the two trees, block the trash, but keep more sunlight in the rest of the yard. I would love an evergreen vine, but I also don't want something that could get out of control. I do love roses... maybe I'll do the cliche of clematis and climbing roses. :)

Thanks again!
Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.