Flowers to Plant With Tomatoes?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My Mom has a small raised bed that she usually only plants with annual flowers. She has decided to plant a couple of tomato plants in the bed this year, along with flowers. I have heard that there are certain flowers you should plant with tomatoes to discourage pests but do not remember what they were. Can anyone help with this info?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You're probably thinking of marigolds.

Others that do well (besides herbs like borage, basil and chives) are nasturtium, zinnias, and cosmos. I'm sure there are many more: I planted about twenty things with my tomatoes.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Sally Jean Cunningham's book, Great Garden Companions, says daisy-shaped flowers like cosmos are good friends of tomatoes. I've also seen marigolds used as companions for tomatoes and peppers.
Among herbs, borage and basil are suggested. Yuska

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Yuska and Zeppy. Yes, marigolds is what I had forgotten but I'm glad to hear of the others, too! I know she likes those little profusion zinnias so I'll tell her those are on the list. :-) She has basil planted somewhere else but I'll mention that she might want to move it in with her tomatoes and although I don't know what borage is, I'll let her know about that as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.