Guess what I forgot to plant...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I was cleaning out my junk closet and found a box of fresh (ok-not exactly fresh now, but they were a few months ago) iris rhizomes. They have been kept in the packing medium and aren't rotted. They have dried out a bit but not completely. If I plant them, they should make a comeback in a year or two right? I have planted those desicated shrunken head iris that WalMart sells and they've eventually popped up a couple years later so I'm hoping these will be OK too. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a lost cause. Should I soak them or anything first?
Thanks....

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You could soak them for a couple of hours, but it's not really necessary. I would go ahead and just plant them. Irises are really tough, and though I'm not able to guarantee anything, I'm betting they'll come up for you.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I pretty much never count my chickens in regards to gardening:) Trying to do that has caused gaping holes in a planting bed or two in the not so distant past!

I peeked around the corner of the apartment, trying to get motivated to dig up the rogue cannas that are there and found a nice patch of daffodils coming up through the debris.
I had planted those last spring when I found those bulbs after the proper planting time.
(Do you see a theme here:LOL:) I tend to buy first and mostly not plan later...I'm going to do better this year:) well, after this anyway...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.