Lily Society Show in Des Moines

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey ! Are you going to be in the Des Moines, IA area next weekend? Come to the Iowa Flower, Lawn and Garden Show at the State Fairgrounds to meet some Iowa DGers!

March 17 (1-7pm), March 18 (10-8 pm) & March 19 (11-4 pm) the Lily Society Club will be selling lily bulbs & gabbing with lily enthusiasts!

Look for anahi, Iowaron, & llilyfan + Moby (carpetbagging from Nebraska) and me sliding in on Saturday from Cedar Rapids. We'll be around to talk lilies and just generally laugh with.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Gosh I would love to come but I will be at our own PNWLS bulb sale on Saturday, otherwise I would fly in for yours:-)).

Get this: I LOST my sale pamphlet for preordering:-( but then again there is no such thing as lousy leftover dregs, right?

Lucky you. we don't GET to pre-order or reserve. We have to show up FIRST at the sale or bribe someone to hold our favorites. Crazy rule, huh? The lady in charge is afraid members will grab all the good "buys". Let us pre-order, and just order MORE for the non-members. Sounds reasonable, huh?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, nonmembers don't have access to the bulb sale; it is a benefit of being a member. There are many PNWLS members across the country who join just to have access to the sale (the society ships). Just wondering, does your sale attract new members to your society? I hope so. As far as I know the PNWLS is the only group that ships sale bulbs. Personally, I think your idea of allowing members to preorder at least some of the bulbs makes sense, it would be a benefit of being a member.

Where does your group get the sale bulbs? Do you have major growers in your area?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Carpetbagger! def: is used to describe "an outsider who moves someplace to exploit the natives and enrich himself at their expense"

Um...yeah.... that's me!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, I hope your sales are successful. I don't care for our spring bulb sale. I was there at 8:30 last year and all the good bulbs were gone. I don't think I'll go to ours this year.

Hey, I don't bother belonging to garden clubs around here--all the fun & my friends are in Des Moines.

And Moby just comes to spice things up & keep us all on our toes... :)

Here is a link to our Lily Society website with lily pics by members iowaron, Moby & me among others. llilyfan--where are pics of YOUR wonderful lilies?

http://ronandpeggy.tripod.com/id2.html

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

They are stuck in my computer somewhere! Maybe someday I'll find them and be able to share them again :-)

Beautiful lilies.

Moby, I had an opportunity to get Pookie, but decided on Giggle Button instead. I'm thinking I should go back and also get Pookie. Just beautiful.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks ~ Pookie is the very first one that I ordered, after having bought Stargazers locally. That was the beginning of the addiction. I think you'll like Pookie, it has substantial petals and big papillae which I find attractive.

I have Giggle Button coming this Spring. It's a cutie!

Hey Sue, what's for sale at the Lily Sale? Should I hide my credit card?

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

D-mail coming at you! You shouldn't burn it up too bad!

Moby - Regarding Pookie, the pictures in the catalog aren't anywhere near as good as your picture. Pookie and Giggle Button just sounds like they should be together. What great names.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL They do sound like little playmates, don't they?!

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Before our Saturday got busy with a bowling tournament, a Flower Lawn and Garden Show, and a Lily Bulb Sale, we all took time to meet for breakfast and friendship.
Left to right around the table are:
Dave, DH of Moby, Moby, Llilyfan, Peggy, DW of Iowaron, Iowaron, Wandasflowers, Dale, DH of Mornin_Gayle, Mornin_Gayle, and last but not least, Momof2D!
Life is good in a gathering of DG'ers. :-)

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i'm green with envy here. no lily bulb sales for me. no lily societies either. well there is but too far away for me to travel. :-( soooo i'll just drool over these giggles and pookies and enjoy my new shade of green. i do wear it well, don't you think? LOL
;-)
glad you had a good time.
debi z and franklin

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's a bummer for ya, debi ~ I gladly drive 3 hours to hang out with these fine folks.

Here is a shot of llilyfan & Moby cleaning up the table and setting out bulbs before the sale began....

Llilyfan and Moby next to one of the great folding screens with Iowaron's lily pics.

Here is a shot of Iowaron and Peggy BEFORE the general public came in to visit our booth. We had dense crowds of lily gardeners from 10 am to 4 pm--hardly a moment to rest. We all shared our lily knowledge & picked up a few more members for our Lily Society.
We also invited people to Dave's Garden and the Iowa Round Up. Busy Day!

Here is a shot of our weary group relaxiong after the successful event. (We DO eat alot, don't we? ) Plus celebrating Moby's un-wedding day and un-honeymoon and wedding anniversary. And THAT'S another whole story.... :)

Whooops. Group shot in our official garb.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

GREAT to see such a shot of so many DGers. And baggies of blubs.....

Am going to be the only DGer at our Manitoba Sprng Seminar on April 1. Main speaker is Ta ta - Judith Freeman who will come avec bulbs and much knowledge. Maybe some test tubes as well. Can't wait.

Better not have a late snowstorm that day.

Inanda

We had a really sunny but somewhat cool day. Too chilly to work in garden but sunny enough to think of spring!

Here are more pics on our official Lily Society website hosted by iowaron & lovely wife Peg! http://www.irls.org/

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow Wanda, what a great day and time had by all! :)

Susan

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

On Friday the bulbs were flying off the table! It was a busy afternoon that's for sure! It's fun talking with people about our passion....(addiction)...meeting Mobys DH was the icing on the cake!. He's a great guy and sounds like he's a good cook to boot! Can't wait to taste his goodies at the round up! Anahi/Beve

Bev was off consorting with (sniff) daylily people at the "CIDS Pollen Daubers Meeting" in Marshalltown. I tried to go to BOTH events last year and my brain went on overload. Must be nice to live in the area & do BOTH!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

actually I ended up sick the next day and didn't get to go to the pollen daubers meeting, snif! I think it might have been the wine! Anahi/Beve

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I was amazed by how fast the bulbs were selling. It was nice to see many young couples buy a few after being drawn in by the pretty lily pics.

Lotsa fun!

I hope the lilies do well and bunnies and/or frost don't get them!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Great pics! You all must have had fun, sold a lot of bulbs, bought a lot of bulbs, and learned a lot.

(And what is this Pollen Daubers meeting? That sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit--but I know it must be something pretty serious if it's about daylilies. Those people don't fool around!) Just kidding... ;-)

Can;t wait to see pics of your gardens come summer! t.

Our Marshalltown daylily club (CIDS) is very active. I belong to it though I drive 80 miles each way--my friends are there.

"Pollen Daubers"---Each year we bring in a major daylily breeder as a speaker for a workshop. I caught Dan Hansen last year and learned a tremendous amount about how the big operations breed & choose new cultivars. Fascinating. We also have several daylily breeders in the Des Moines/Marshalltown area. I'm too lazy to be a breeder myself, but I can appreciate the work that goes into creating new plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.