Post-Op Bariatric Proceedure

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I dood it!!! It is a done deal! A little sore but after all I do have five holes in me. All went real well and it really was a pleasant experience. I arrived at the hospital at 2:30pm Friday and was taken up to pre-op and told to strip and put on an apron which fit and a plastic bonnet for my hair. They connected me to intra-venus and I never even felt the butterfly needle that they put in my wrist. They used a topicle first and that was something new and they only use it in pre-op. They said they want their patients to be comfortable. After a couple of bags of IV my surgeon stopped in to talk and we went over everything. Then the anesthesiologist, Sue, came to talk and prep me with some happy stuff. They wheeled me in half asleep and put a mask over my face with an odorless gas and told me to breathe deep which I did three times and next thing I know someone is calling my name and tapping my face and saying "It's all over. Time to wake up!" This was about 8:00pm. No real pain just a little like from a 1 to10 being a five but boy my mouth was like cotton and no water at this time. I've not had anything since midnite Thursday.
I had a private suite with flat screen Hi-Definition TV, a couch and recliner a private entrance whereas you walk into a washroom before you enter my room and of course I had my own bathroom at the other end of the room.Everyone had
to wash their hands before entering. My doctor really surprised me with this room. I almost didn't want to leave!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant, we are so proud of you! And so happy that all went well. All that patient waiting you had to do is paying off. I am also grateful that modern medicine can do so much to help us when we need help badly. Soon you'll be gardening again. Hooray! Yuska

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

So happy to hear everything went well.

Congratulations!!!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

YAY!! I knew you'd come through with flying colors! Now, lets let those pounds go flying away too! To Never-Never-Land, Never to be seen or heard from again!!!

This is sort of like the microscopic knee surgery! It is so much less invasive and much less time to recover from! Yay for modern technology!

You Go T! ~ Suzi :)

Congrats Tplat! I'm still here saying prayers of healing and rootin for you!
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Congrats Tplant glad you came out ok...

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey T - Glad everything went according to plan. You done good! Ed

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Glad you're doing well.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Great news. Happy for you.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Good Job TP - that room sounds unbelievable for a hospital!

-Kim

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Tplant your post was wonderful news!! I'm so glad it's over and now it's "onward and upward"........er, make that "downward" with the pounds! (giggle)
Pati

Feeling real well today. Don't believe I'll need any more pain meds as they made me sleepy. Allowed to have Carnation Instant Breakfast and also yogurt which to me is like you having steak and eggs. Must get used to sipping very slowly because if I swallow to fast i bloat up and it is like having a balloon in my stomach. I'm sure you all can relate to the feeling after a heavy dinner only a little more severe and burping helps to neutralize the pressure. Never realized I gulped so much air with my food.
When first weighed for this program I was 319 and as of today 306. I'll weigh-in every Friday so you can see how I'm doing.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Good Luck Tplant and take things easy...and way to go on the 13lbs already gone...sadly to say I think it found a new home on my own fanny! :)

araness -- LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Humm maybe I need a lap band...to bad my insurance won't pay for something like that unless you jump through hoops for a year or more...BTW next 13 pounds ya lose send to IO1 or even Flip...Matter fact I think FLIP would be excellent to send em to... ( :P~'s Flip and all his maters that I won't comment on :)*

Ptlant, way to go! And don't listen to Saint. She can handle the extra weight. Just send it on to her. LOL I'm prayin for you!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*whaps I01* nope you need to fatten up a bit :P~

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

WOW! T-plant, I had what was then major abdominal surgery about 20 years ago, and I spent 13 days as an inpatient, 12 of them with nothing by mouth!!!! If they can do that much laparascopically (sp?), can inter-stellar colonization be far off? LOL! But seriously, when I had my surgery, the recovering-from-abdominal-surgery part was almost as big of a deal as the btw- we-fixed-your-problem part. I have a scar that goes from 2" above my belly button to er, well, they had to shave some hair. (blushing) It was closed with about 25 staples. I also had all these tubes coming out of new orifices for some of the inpatient time. I mean, I was terrified my scar would rip open for about 6 months post-surgery. I'm not exactly jealous of you and your five holes, but we sure didn't have any HDTV back then. That part I'm jealous of. I'm just amazed at how little pain you seem to have and how you're already on your way to eating healthier! You don't seem to need a recovery stage before you're off to My Life, part II! Just remarkable. Bravo!!!!

xxxxxoooooxxxxxoooxxx, Carrie

Good morning, Tplant. I hope today is a good one for you, and they just keep getting better and better!!!!!
Pati

Well now Pati ... couldn't have said it better myself! LOL So I'll just be saying ditto!! :)
Have a blessed day. ... Elaine

Yes Carrie, it is wonderful the way they do things today! A little bit of discomfort today but pain med not necessary. The bloating after drinking a meal is severe when drinking water but much milder with a protein drink. Belching helps me control the discomfort. A nurse called yesterday to check on me and she was quite pleased with my attitude and recovery. I firmly believe that frame of mind means "everything" for a healthy recovery.
I had a dream last night. It was about a glass of milk and frozen strawberries in heavy syrup. Ya know the strawberries you buy in the frozen food section of your market? Well anyway I put a ladle full of thawed strawberries in the glass of milk and blended it. Then I put another scoop on top and then ------- woke up!!! I'll bet it was delicious?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I know several of the drinks are in strawberry maybe they will taste close to that. I use the drink for diabetics and think it taste alright. Don't think it's as high in the protein count as the others though.

Glad your doing so well, can't wait till your back in fighting form so you can start posting on a regular basis again...It's mater time and I need a healthy Tplant!

Don't you fret my pet! AHHHLL BE BACK!!!!!!! AND A LOT THINNER..

This message was edited Mar 15, 2006 1:44 PM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank goodness...and something to give you a lift i spirits

Thumbnail by araness

Today is day 5 after my surgery and absolutely no more discomfort and very, very slight feeling of bloating. I can drink or sip w/o aggrivating my stomach and had to wear a size smaller pants today. From 54 to 52 and the latter size is loose. I may go down to a comfortable 50 tomorrow. Still on the liquid diet which consists mostly of fat-free soups and broth. Had Cream of Wheat for breakfast and my first cup of decaf coffee with Land O Lakes fat-free half n half and all is well. Some people can not tolerate milk products of any kind after surgery but everything has been going well for me. I would recommend this proceedure to anyone that has tried everything else. There really is nothing to it and it honestly and truthfully was a pleasant experience for me with substantiated promises of weight loss w/o hunger. Eating 5 or 6 times a day in small quantities is the secret. I eat till I'm satisfied and not stuffed. Remember my stomach compartment can hold no more than a cup or less of anything. I eat mostly protein for my health as I am supposed to and do not drink any liquids for one hour after my meal. I don't fill or stretch my stomach with excess as I'm told not to do so. One thing in my favor is that I obey my doctor's instructions to the letter. I think he knows my insides better than I do.

Tplant
I'm so happy that things are going well for you. Here's hoping you'll be back in your garden doing what you do best before long! :)
... Elaine

Oh Elaine, I was out in my garden yesterday but forgot my condition and went to lift a small bag of soil. I'm a little tender today but will definetly remember next time. I still must take it easy for two to three weeks.

This is Friday and is the designated weigh-in day. Drum roll please ********** and the scale says 301lbs. Last Friday 308lbs a difference of 7lbs. When first started in March I weighed 319 for a total up to date loss of 18lbs. My breakfast consisted of a protein shake, 1/2 cup 1% milk and 4oz yogurt plus a cup of water 1hr later. Still no hunger pangs.

Oh Tplant ... so wonderful! I'm saying prayers for you that your progress will continue.

TPlant.....NO LIFTING.....except for "My breakfast consisted of a protein shake, 1/2 cup 1% milk and 4oz yogurt plus a cup of water 1hr later" LOL

Sounds like things are going great!!!
Pati

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Make sure you take your Vit's and drink your shake...very very important.

Don't know if you all recieve the "Quizno's" sub sandwich commercial but down here they advertise the Prime Rib Sub. It shows tender slices of juicy steak smoothered in a juicy onion sauce topped with a slice of mozzerella cheese and toasted in their ovens?{sinful} This always seems to come on just when I feel a little hunger. I'll be able to have a small one in about two months but meanwhile "Anyone for a Smoothie?"

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

TPlant - Glad you are doing so great!! Keep it up!! ~ Suzi :)

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Awesome Tplant. I've missed your posting on tomato, and here you are having your lap done. I'm happy to hear you're doing great. Keep up the great work! You'll be back to your gardening in no time at all. I'm sure your tomatos will be thrill with the new slimmer Tplant LOL. Hip-Hip-Horraaayyy!!!

Go Tplant Go!

Linda

Maybe we need to start posting smoothie recipes for you, tplant? You just hang in there and think SHAKE ... not STEAK! LOL LOL
P.S.
Keep up the good work. :)

edited cause I can't spell!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 9:00 PM

Had a difficult time with hunger pangs yesterday. I think it was because I did not feel like having oatmeal etc. and did not eat a proper liquid breakfast! This liquid diet is very restrictive and afterwhile it is boring. Thank goodness for the shakes. I have fresh strawberries and bananas mixed with skim milk and my instant breakfast mix(high protein) will help me. It really isn't hunger but the strong desire to chew. Hard to explain? Any way I see my surgeon tomorrow at 1:45pm EST. Hoping he will let me add some scrambled eggs and a vegetable. I may be hoping for to much as it does take a long time to heal internally. I'll let you know!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Hope he lets you add a little. Will chewing gum help with the "chewing" part? Good Luck!! ~ Suzi :)

No it's not that type of chewing? When I see the beautiful tomatos I have in my garden and know I can't have a nourishing salad! That's the difficult part but I can wait...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant, ask your doctor if you can have a multi-grain cooked cereal. Oatmeal does become a bit boring after awhile. The Quaker people have one with wheat, barley and rye along with oats. Similiar texture but a "nutty" flavor and very good. Bob's Red Mill has five-grain and ten-grain organic blends; some stores carry one or both (can be ordered online). I have one of these almost every morning and stir in a couple of fruits such as crushed pineapple and raisins instead of sugar. Yuska

Tplant
I know this must be very hard on you and probably is *really* trying your patience about now. Please know that I'm continuing to say prayers for you ... that you will have a peaceful journey as you walk through your garden to your new life. :)
Hugs&blessings ... elaine

Yuska & Elaine and Everyone ---- Thanks for hanging in there with me. GOOD NEWS! Doctor said I can have tuna,chicken, and egg salad but the celery must be minced also can have mashed potatos with garlic plus fat free peanut butter with sugar free jelly. Already had some chicken salad and feel great. My first semi-solid and it really took the edge off my little remaining appetite. I was ony able to eat less than a half cup. I'm learning to eat till I'm satisfied and not full. No liquid until thirty minutes after eating.
Next appointment 4/4 at which time he will tighten my band. He doesn't expect me to lose anymore weight until then but I will....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.