winter squash

Lafayette, CO(Zone 5b)

I know it's too early to think about this, but this is something that has been bugging me for a few years. My winter squash has not been good. I've planted acorn, delicata, and butternut (all different seasons) and none of them have tasted good or had a good texture. I know they can cross with other squashes so am careful what I plant where. I love winter squash, especially the sweet ones straight out of the garden, but am not sure I will do any this year since I've never been successful. I've done both my own starts and starts from the nursery. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't have a clue as what the problem may be. Winter squash have always been a grow/no grow situation. They do need to reach full maturity and then be cured (stored in a cool dry place) for two weeks or more to attain the optimum flavor for a particular cultivar. Of course acorns and butternuts are edible as summer (immature) squash. Squash do cross pollinate but that has no effect on the initial crop. There can be subtle differences in flavor due to soil, but squash are not particularly sensitive.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have had a problem with winter squash as well. My timing is always off. Should Winter Squash be planted so that the crop matures in the fall? Or should it be grown just like regular squash with a longer maturation period?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

While it is ideal to plant winter squash so that it matures in September, the pickle worms won't let me do it here. I have to plant them early so that the skins are hard when they arrive in late June/ July.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.