Just wanted to share.........

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi all,

I just wanted to show you a plant that I have in bloom at the moment. It is called Pamianthe peruviana and is like a giant peruvian daffodil. The flowers can be as much as 7" across and the cup 5" long. Each of the leaves is over 3' in length. The scent in the evening is a knockout - a house filling perfume of spicy cloves and jasmine, but there is very little scent during the daytime. It grows in the cloud forests of Peru and Bolivia and is extremely rare in the wild. Some say it could already be extinct. It is one of the most treasured plants in my collection

matt

Thumbnail by mattadeus

here are some more pictures

Thumbnail by mattadeus
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It is very pretty.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

mmmmm, I can smell that sweet flower. thanks for sharing. Elaine

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Matt,
Beautiful photos!! First macro shot is exceptional!
Chantell

This message was edited Mar 14, 2006 3:45 PM

Thanks all for your kind comments. The flowers are now beginning to fade :^( They last only about 5 days but fortunately I have a second plant coming into bloom so I can enjoy the fragrance for a little while longer.
Matt

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Gosh Matt, where do you find these plants and where do you put them all!
Your collection is wonderful, I can only hope for such a plant!
Caren

Hi Caren,
It's true, the plants do kind of take over, particularly in the winter time when I have to bring some of my tropicals back into the house to benefit from the warmer temperature. I keep my greenhouse at 55F minimum temperature at night and 60F minimum during the day, but it's still a bit cool for some of them. Fortunately the house has large picture windows, so I make a kind of indoor garden in front of them with the plants. My friends still think I'm a bit crazy though....and i guess they're probably right!
As for finding them, I trawl the internet and books for information on plants with especially fragrant flowers, and then I hunt down a supplier. Sometimes they're in the UK but mostly they're abroad. Most of my Hoyas for example, came from Australia and since the EU opened its borders between member states, obtaining something in the mail from Europe is as easy as from London! I'm going to have to stop collecting soon though..............but I can't tell you how often I've said that!

Matt

This message was edited Mar 17, 2006 7:08 PM

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Well Matt, if you ever need a place to store some of them like maybe forever! LOL!Just let me know!!
Caren

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.