Orientals failing

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have several Oriental lilies. They did good the first year, but not so good (and some missing the second year). I have no idea what the problem is. They should be able to handle my winters here. Do squirrels eat lilies like they do tulips? I am able to keep them away from the tulips with daffodils.
I have been fertilizing with Black Kow and bone meal when they first come up. Should they have more fertilizer during the growing and blooming periods? How about after they finish b looming?

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi
Orientals do not like the heat and tend to be short lived in Hot climates. They also need Acidic Soils. Orientals are notorious for being very picky, needing perfect soil, cool summer temps. You can Increase there Longevity by giving them afternoon shade and or dappled sunlight. The soil should be kept pretty acidic with tons of compost and sharp sand . Make sure you use Silicon sand it contains no lime. Use Iron sulfate(copperas) to Acidify soils.
Hope this helps
Dennis

This message was edited Mar 12, 2006 7:01 AM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Orientals don't like our cold winters, compacted clay soil or our late frosts either! I've found 2 spots where they will grow in my garden with winter protection and shaded afternoons.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think your climate ought to be fine for growing Orientals, and yes, they do like some afternoon shade in warmer climes.

What concerns me more is the poor showing in the second year and disappearing bulbs. Provided that drainage isn't an issue (causing rot), is there any chance that you could have voles or other root-eating critters?

Well, Dennis, we do have very acidic soil and we have much cooler temperatures compared to the rest of the south, because of altitude in the mountains.
It is possible that squirrels or voles are the culprit. Do squirrels like lilies? I have to interplant my tulips with daffodils because the squirrels eat my tulip bulbs.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Squirrels are evil little varmints, in my opinion. I haven't had any lilies go missing but I have noticed that the squirrels dig around them occasionally. It could be that the bulbs are buried to deep for them.

This is purely speculation, but I've wondered if the same type of grubs that eat the roots in the lawn could do the same damage to bulbs.

I e-mailed Baa and she said lot s of things such as voles, like to eat them. She also raised the subject of fertilizer and it is obvious that I have not been using enough. So I am going to plant some daffodils around them and fertilize more. Hope it works!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Baa is a smart cookie and I'm sure you received excellent advice. :)

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Orientals should be fine for zone 7a and I don't think it is a problem with soil or even sun. It sounds to me that it is either poor drainage or rodents. However, if you plant them 3x height of the bulb deep then rodents should really not bother them

This is how I care for mine:
- in spring, as they appear above ground, fertilize with organic fertilizer
- in summer, just as they bloom, fertilize with Osmocote 14-14-14
- In fall, cut spent flowers after bloom
Always leave the flower stem with leaves and remember to continue to water them
Do not cut flower stem until it is brown and has withered on its own in early winter
- provide excellent drainage.

Provided above is followed, I think you will be ok.

Moby, you are right about Baa. That's why I sent her an e-mail.
jd, that's about what I plan to do. I will try to remember to let you all know how they did.
I bought 6 Black Beauty Lilies on eBay today. Hope they are decent-sized bulbs. The seller had excellent feedback.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.