Seed Vendors

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

Looking for some seed vendors where i can order via CC or paypal
where i can get veggies , flowers , herbs that you cant find in
walmart , lowes , home depot ... ect ..

I want to get sell some seedlings at road side stand that people in the
area never heard of and might want to try ...

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I like Baker, Cook's Garden, Seeds of Change and Territorial. You will find them in the Watchdog. Also try a search for "rare seeds". Lots of fun stuff to try!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Baker Creek http://www.rareseeds.com/ is my favorite and Harvest Moon http://www.felcopruners.net/ comes in a close second . You will find an amazing selection of seeds (you'll never see at a box store) from these two!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

VBSparky, I encourage folks to visit BakerCreek ( rareseeds.com) . At least check out their website, lots of good info there, too! He (Jeremiah Gettle) is also a DG member.

Another site you might be interested in might be www.dollarorganicseeds.us , also run by a DGer and sells organic non-GM seeds. Check it out sometime.

I also recommend SESE, Tomato Growers Supply, and Heirloom Seeds. (Each of those have their own website; just do a quick Google for their links.)

Happy Growing!
Shoe.

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks for the replies DG'ers,

few other questions , how many seeds in a $2.50 pack .. LOL .. i think i got a
new pet peve. have been browsing Seeds of Change and i dont think i have seen
a seed count listed yet.

Also, anyone know what seed brands Lowes and Home Depot carry ?

I know walmart carries Burpie and one other and a collectors packet, i got a few packets here someplace.

now off to see whats in burbies selection .. so i can find some good looking odd ball stuff.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here both Lowes and Home Depot carry Ferry-Morse seeds. Another good site that I like even better than Baker Creek is http://www.victoryseeds.com/

Palo Alto, CA

"few other questions , how many seeds in a $2.50 pack .. LOL .. i think i got a
new pet peve. have been browsing Seeds of Change and i dont think i have seen
a seed count listed yet."

It varies by seed company and by variety: this year I've bought seed packets with as few as 10 seeds in them and as many as 1000. Rare varieties as a rule of thumb are more expensive per seed than common ones.

A lot of seed packets will say things like "plants 40 feet" or some such. Or they give the total weight of the seeds - I'm looking at tomato, bean and baby corn seed packets that say 30 seeds, 3 oz. and 5 g. respectively. Not very helpful, IMHO. Bottom line is there isn't much standardization and most places sell by volume or weight (it's easier to automate the packaging that way). The germination rate and age of the seeds also matters, just to make things more confusing.

After a bit of practice you'll start to get a feel for who gives good quality for the money. I've been happy with Harvest Moon (although they resell a lot of European varieties and don't mention that in their catalogs), Seeds of Change, Totally Tomatoes and good old reliable Burpee.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Don't forget JL Hudson. www.jlhudsonseeds.net

Their shipping rates are incredible (a buck for up to 20 packets), the seed count generous, the germination fantastic, and check them out on Garden Watchdog. And they aren't in the pocket of the big seed companies.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Burpee bought Cooks Garden!

Read what I just posted here: Garden Talk: Fedco Drops Monsanto/Seminis http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/582695/

~* Robin

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

I purchase most of my vegetable seeds from Seed Savers Exchange www.seedsavers.org. I love their selection and their seed saving practices.

LD :)

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'll just have to pop over to the fedco site and place a supportive order. :)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

SSE (Seed Savers Exchange) has excellent varieties ans sends a ton of seeds. They are a tad slow, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.