help ID strange worm

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Was working in the yard today and came across this strange worm or slug and I don't know what it is. Could anyone help me? It was between two pieces of wood.

Thumbnail by 2vernes
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Another shot of the critter. Its head flares out and when I touch it, it shrinks back and looks like a striped worm. Slimy like a slug, small like a worm. It was about 5 inches long when I stretched it out, then it shrunk up to about 2 inches. While we were taking the picture, it lost part of its tail. That is my dirty finger next to the worm.

Thumbnail by 2vernes
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Another shot of our unknown yard monster with the part of tail that came off.

Thumbnail by 2vernes
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i don't know what it is but it's kinda cool and icky at the same time. i hope somebody id's it.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Your area must be moist and soggy? It looks like a trematode. Rather big but the head gives it away. They parisitise ruminants. Sheep cattle. any near by?

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Normally the area is not wet but we had a couple huge rains this week. It was found between 2 pieces of rotting boards. No animals other than squirrels and a few neighborhood cats that rambled through. Now I am about to google up trematodes. Thanks for the info Soferdig. SheVerne

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Trematodes are creepy. Just went to Google and found something similar to my worm but not exactly. When will I ever learn to leave things alone and quit nosing around. For sure I will wear gloves when I garden from now on. SheVerne

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Your worm is this http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/land_planarians_photo1.htm
More info http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/land_planarians.htm
They eat slugs but they also eat earthworms.

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, I've never seen those before! They are really creepy and the fact they eat earthworms make them even creepier!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Calalily, you hit the nail (er-worm) on the head. When I looked up trematode it had me spooked and wished I'd never touched it. Now I don't particularily like having them around eating my earthworms, at least maybe they won't get in my innards. We have plenty of slugs so they should get plenty fat and the fact that they are cannibals helps some. Thanks for the information. SheVerne

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Euuch. Even we strong hearted vets are queezy picking up that one. You have to know if you eat slugs you are going to be slimy. Picture being reincarnated this thing after being human. HaHa

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

You know, it's bad enough that we have to put up with slugs and mosquitos, now we have these little monsters. I still have him if anyone would like to have it. HeHe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.