PLEASE Help identify

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay you caroliners. I live in N. Carolina and there is a yellow flowered bush that is blooming right now. It does not have any leaves that I can tell. There is also a fuscia flowered bush blooming, can't tell if it has leaves or not, if so not very many. They are not the same kind of bush, at least I think. It looks like the fuscia bush flowers are a little bigger. I would love to know what these bushes are. The yellow one is not jasmine.

Thank you all for your help.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Can you give more details?

Are you asking because it's a single shrub and it's unusual, or do you come from somewhere else and you're asking about something that's all over the place? I mean the obvious thing would be forsythia. But witch hazel's a possibility. Others will have more ideas.

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

It's not unusual, it is all over here in Durham, NC but I don't know about anywhere else. I don't think it's witch hazel as I thought that blooms in fall.

It might be the forsythia. I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

As for the fuscia one, I don't have one near by that I could take a picture of but I will have my camera with me tomorrow when I am working and if I see it I will snap a picture of it.

the fuschia one could be flowering quince. the yellow could be forsythia, winter jasmine, carolina jessamine. all of these are blooming now either in my yard or around the neighborhood.

oh, and another fuschia possibility would be loropetulum.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

forysthia and quince. mine are in bloom the forysthia is just yellow flowers and after the flowers the leaves come.

and if its a vine type bush its probably primrose jassmine. doesnt look like a regular jasmine flower.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

While we're on the subject...what's the best placement for flowering quince in my zone (6B)? Will it mind afternoon shade?

I have both Toyo and Iwai nishi on order for spring delivery, and I've never grown it before.

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, here are some pictures of the yellow flowering bush. Later today I should be able to get the pink one because I noticed this morning that my daycare provider has one in her yard.

Anyways, this picture is a faraway one so you could see it's growth

Thumbnail by Luluguid
Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

and these next 2 or a close up of the flower

Thumbnail by Luluguid
Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

hope this helps

Thumbnail by Luluguid

that's forsythia. grows like a weed - you can't kill it :) VERY easy to root from cuttings; in fact, i simply stuck cuttings straight into the dirt along a fence and they all rooted and went on to form a hedge.

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

okay, here is the pictures of the fuscia flowering bush

this one is a close up

Thumbnail by Luluguid
Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

here is a further away one. although this one is a young plant so it looks a little scrappy, but it does get full just like the forsythia

Thumbnail by Luluguid

that's a flowering quince :)

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you all for helping me solve my little mystery

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Luluguid,

I guess we are neighbors, both living in Durham. What area do you live in, if you don't mind me asking. I live close to North Gate Mall. I didn't know that there was anyone else from Durham here on the forums. I am so glad that Dave started the Carolina forum. It is nice to chat with people that live close to my neck of the woods. It has been so nice so far getting to know all of you. I hope that we can all meet in person soon. That would be so neat.

Jesse

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

I live probably just 5-6 miles north of northgate mall on a small road off guess road. It would be neat to meet different people and put a face to a name, but in my case it would have to be in the next month and a half since I am moving to FL. Although I probably would be embarassed to have any garden over since I don't have any gardening done. And the little but of stuff that was here before I moved in I will be attempting to dig up and take with me. I hope I don't botch that up!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh darn, moving to FL. Just when I find someone in my area, they move to FL. What bad luck for me. I too live off of Guess Rd.

Jesse

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

I work in the Downtown circle..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.