Spring Bulbs Pictures & Discussion: Part IV

Corte Madera, CA

Hello, EVERYONE! Here's the continuation of our other threads. Bulbs are sprouting and blooming, and we want to see the photos!

Tammy's going to play in the dirt for the first time this season....

Kenton's garden is pretty with snow. We're hoping it doesn't do much damage...

It snowed here in 10a....

T, I don't know what this is called. I bought sacks and sacks of "Giant Daffodils for Naturilizing."

I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Annapet

Thumbnail by Moonglow
(Zone 7b)

That is eye candy.

Denver, CO

Ah, the reason I don't buy mixes. The frustration of not knowing wha the good ones are so as to buy more...
K. James

Corte Madera, CA

Thank you, 2zeus. Looking forward to more blooms from your garden.

(Zone 7b)

Was out in my garden recently gazing at the sprouts, and my neighbour asked "Did I just hear you saying Come ON, already!"- I should look around first before talking to my plants - non-gardeners just don't understand....

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL!!!! Well, I understand........ http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/582458/

LOL

Corte Madera, CA

i understand, too! before i was sort of shy. now i just dance around on top of the berm =))).

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This was the front yard today - look at my tree peony - I planted it and forgot I had bulbs all around it! My Asiatics lilies have multiplied too - good since I didn't plant any Asiatics this past fall!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yellow is a great color for visual impact - I wish my yard were larger though!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This was looking out one of the back windows

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Looking down on a pot with hyacinths and some lilies sprouting

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
(Zone 7b)

Just beautiful!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I know this isn't a bulb but I threw some seed down last fall and this Sweet William is almost in bloom!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Why thank you 2zeus!

somewhere, PA

Thanks Annapet! And "oooooo" Steve...

I went crazy this morning looking for the camera!!! I had started to take it out with me (before I had
gotten dressed - just a robe & muck shoes) when I decided maybe I should get dressed. So... when
I got back to it, it was gone! Turns out my DH took it with him (he's working on a set for a play at a
local high school & wanted to show me). WHEW! Tomorrow I'll take pic's ... actually have various to
show.

I found a lily had been pushed out of the ground. It had lots of bulbs - so I split it and ended up with
maybe a dozen. We'll see how they do... hopefully their time on/near the surface didn't hurt 'em.

Tam

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Tammy...

I get that a lot too when bulbs form near the surface along the stem. I will have to dig them up this fall and replant like you did! Everything's rooting now down here so probably too late for me :-(

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooooh, Steve, that is just luscious!!!! I've got stuff coming up all over the place and for the life of me I can't remember planting half of it. I just love surprises in the spring! :-)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

OK I do have a Narcissus tete a tete open today!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It's somehow amusing that while I have no daff blooms yet in the garden, the naturalized ones are blooming in bramble thickets down my drive. They bring such joy in those unexpected spots! When the rain stops I'll get pics.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

You Southerners got me beat.
But I did find a few of these extra early crocus.
Much larger than the one inch one I posted last week, these are one and a half inches across, LOL.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Gee no wonder it took mine so long, a dozen posts while Steve's sprung into bloom, I must be at the end of the queue! Lots of flowers and greenery there steve, incredibly full and pretty.

This is the primrose I bought, but the eye has yellowed a bit since yesterday, still pretty

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Andy that is a gorgeous rich, buttery crocus, any name?

The whole pot

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

talk about YELLOW FOR VISUAL IMPACT! i'm sold, steve!

andy, that's just soooo pretty, and i love how the shadows gave your crocuses extra dimension.

and this is just the beginning, janet. woo-hoo...

that's the effect i want, neal. unexpected blooms =).

keep us posted, tam.

kylee, we're up!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks kbaumle - well I'll have the pleasure of looking at yours in a replay (which is a good thing) when yours bloom and I am on to something else. I NEVER get tired to looking at spring bulb blooms!! I like surprises too and I never seem to track anything too well.

Well congrats wallaby - you're getting closer! Beautiful tete a tete narcissus you have -and I see a bunch of others in the background with yellow so you'll have some masses of yellow color soon!

Very pretty croci, Andy - it won't be long for you either!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Here are few of my daffs....

Thumbnail by berrygirl

Another of my helleborus seedlings that only has 1 flower on, the other one didn't get to open fully, the stem got weather beaten

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

and a few more.....

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Moonglow! I never used to be a big daffodil fan, but the last couple of years got me hooked!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That's a great pic of your helleborus, wallaby - my camera isn't that good with the up close shots like that - though maybe it is the user.

Very nice, Berrygirl - I see you have some hollyhocks coming up too - I have those as well! Would recognize the leaves anywhere.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

All came from a mix so I dont know what any of them are...

Thumbnail by berrygirl

Hi berrygirl, nice to see you too have some spring yellow!

Got a full face of the H. red shades, it has deepened in colour and has some green on it

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

berrygirl, i think we have the same mix! very beautiful though =))). mine are from breck's. really love the quality of bulbs i received from them. bloomingbulbs sucked this year as far as my order went.

gosh, steve - - - you're making me want to plant more daffs, tulips, and definitely hyacinths next year. please alert me when van e. and b&b start taking orders!

love hellebores, janet. i was just looking at mine and wondering why they didn't bloom for me this winter =(((.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I like that last one a lot, wallaby - I don't know much about helleborus and don't know how they'd do in my climate

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Moonglow,
YEP! It's a mix I got about 3-4 yrs ago from Brecks. How did ya know- LOL! I sooo wish they'd mark them somehow. I think that how they sell the mixes so cheap- its ones that are mislabeled or unknowns, at least that's what I have heard. I do love them though.

I am sorry your order experience was bad. What happened?

There was just enough sun sneaking through the clouds to give a nice backlight to the petals, I tried to use the tree trunk as a shield.

gee lots smore posted all at once, hotting up here!

Lemme see, ah what have I got now!

I thought this shot of the Jeanne d'arc crocus now fully up had impact, all from one bulb originally

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

GORGEOUS!!

Corte Madera, CA

yucky mush. bloomingbulbs is good in sending replacements - - - but if the product is good enough to begin with, no replacing needed.

i know breck's doesn't have a good GWD rating, but mine have been great. i have to check if the bad ones were from years and years ago.

can wait to try brent & becky's!

EDITED TO SAY:
janet, i love them!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 5:55 PM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Moonglow,

Just s you know most of my daffodils I have accumulated over the years are from B&B - although I have been ordering from OHG as well. B&B made a mistake on my order this year and I wasn't really thrilled about how they resolved it, but their bulb quality on daffodils is among the best. You won't be disappointed.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Moon,
Never tried that Co and now thanks to you I won't. Did you post on the GWD? I have had pretty good luck with Brecks, too. I dont "think" I have ever ordered from B& B though I get their catalogs- LOL! Perhaps I did years ago and just forgot?!

My new fave source for bulbs is Old House Gardens.

Well I hope it's brightening things up a bit! There has to be some advantage to having a day of 38F!

Steve you will only know if you can grow hellebores if you try them, go on give it a go!

i think the extra cold weather has brought out the best in colour, lets have a bunch

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.