Vertical cucumbers?

Branford, CT

Ok Im not crazy, but living in a condo I have very limited garden space, so Last season I decided to erect 12 ft high stakes out of firring strips so I could grow my cukes straight up. To my amazement it was my best crop ever! Has anyone else ever tried this route? It should impact the growth or anything right? Oh well just thought I would share.

Springville, NY

If you have limited space, there was a very interesting article in one of last years issues of Countryside magazine. I think the name was "Vertical Gardens of Buffalo." I will try to find the issue and let you know for sure. It was about a guy who grew vegetables suspended upside down in pots hanging on his balcony. It might give you some ideas.

Branford, CT

Thank you that would be fantastic. I only have a 4x12 area roughly to grow so space is essential. I got a very good crop of cukes. I had 4 plants and harvested 136 cukes. I was pretty happy. But I would love to find out some more information. Thank you

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

There are lot's of interesting articles when I googled it http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=vertical+gardening

Beachwood, OH

Gardeners Supply sells upside down bags for planting tomatos called Topsy Turvy planters - it says you can grow cukes in the same container. Never tried it but it looks interesting. their link is http://www.gardeners.com/Topsy-Turvy-Vegetable-Planter/default/StandardCatalog.VegetableGardening_PotsPlanters.34-320.cpd

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link Alyrics - it reminded to order a few things that I needed from their website

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

You can grow almost any vining crop vertically. I've had good luck with cantalopes and even watermelon (they need a sling for support after a while). Other good choices are peas and beans. Go for it!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I might try my cucumbers and zucchini in pots using tomato cages.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.