Xeriscaping a sectionof my yard

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

I am planning on xeriscaping a section outside my fenced yard. It is in an area that I can not use mulch. I have found several large grasses for near the fence but I need small to medium drought tolerant grasses to fill in. I plan to use a few Zamia Floridana and Zamia Furfuracea for contrast but plan to use mostly grasses. At one end there is a Fire hydrant and I plan to plan 6" grass (grass like) ground cover around it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on 6" to 3' drought tolerant full sun grasses or grass like (African Iris, Society Garlic etc.)?

I have a section with wax myrtles that will give some shade to part of the section but most will be in full sun and I do not plan on irrigating area.

I live in zone 9b south of Tampa 10 mile form the coast.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This message was edited Mar 12, 2006 7:18 AM

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a stipa gigantea which is going to be beautiful this spring. It gets a cluster of leaves that grows to about 3' tall and the flower spikes get up to 6' and are a yellowish color and are beautiful blowing in the breeze. Festuca glauca is drought tolerant once established and only gets to about 8" high. Digging Dog Nursery has a nice selection of grasses. You may want to check their website. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.