Forsythia Glory

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is my biggest one. It is about 15 yrs old- 8 plus ft tall and about 4 ft across. I have pruned it several times and taken cuttings. Don't know the cultivar as it was a 'passalong' plant. This shrub screams Spring to me!

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's one of its babies growing beside it. It's been out about 3- 4 yrs.

Thumbnail by berrygirl

Forsythia reminds me of spring too. There was a lot of it in the neighborhood where I grew up. There were entire hedges of it that we stuck our fingers in walking to the bus stop to go to school.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Bg, nice shaping and a beautiful plant. May be the full sun, ours never seem as full of blooms as your display. The robin of the plant world. Ken

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Ken,
Thanks for the kind comments. The shaping is all the Lord's doing not mine- lol! I really don't try to shape it when I prune it. I just remove branches that are spindly, dying or growing in an ugly directon. I usually stick the cut brancehes in the ground to make more babies. I have several now and this one is the fullest. I think full sun and lots of room is the key. About every 2 yrs, I throw a handful of 10-10-10 under it after blooming is over. I wish ALL my plants were this care-free.
I'm not trying to rub it in but those pics were taken a couple of days ago and all the blooms hadn't opened yet. Today it was SPECTACULAR- lol! I'll post new pics tomorrow but better wear shades to see it- hee hee!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Here she is......... pics just dont do it justice.

Thumbnail by berrygirl
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

This is the photo of the same hedge, today.
I think the other photo is closer to its peak bloom, just shows how long the yellow lasts.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I took a photo today of a Forsythia hedge that I like to drive by. I just can't resist stopping to take a photo -

It reminds me too of Spring

This is a photo of the hedge 2 years ago.
The next photo will be a photo I took today.

Will

oops I got them turned around I think!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

berrygirl Gorgeous pictures and so appropriate for springtime. The yellow is so bright ............. and soon it will have lovely foliage too.

cuckoo

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

shortleaf That car looks small going by those hugh forsythias'!! The blooms are short lived but so nice and so soon after winter ends.

cuckoo

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Berrygirl, your forsythia is gorgeous! It could very well be Lynnwood Gold. I am sure that is what mine is.
If all of my this year's cuttings root I will have at least 15 around our yard.
The 'mother' plant has nice fall coloring most years so , of course, the 'children' will too.
This pic was taken through a house window 2 falls ago (it has filled out more since then.)

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL635/2413050/4795529/83816184.jpg

If you read my other post about this forsythia, you know I have limbed it up because I have a lot of flowers growing beneath it that need the sun.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Cuckoo,
Thanks for the nice words. Now the yellow blooms are barely hanging on now- it's greening up nicely. If you want some cuttings just LMK.

Marian,
I think you might be right abput the cultivar. I have looked at the ones in PF and on the web and it looks very similar.
THANKS for the confirmation.
And b/c of you, I am thinking of limbing up one of my smaller ones.
What would grow well under one- just about anything? What have you got beneath yours?

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Berrygirl, the flowerbed was there first, and one of it's main occupants was/is a rose ( on the left side ). I am notorious for sticking plants where they shouldn't be, and the forsythia shouldn't have been put there! I have hardy geraniums under the rose, and there are volunteer Lunaria biennis, and Iris cristata. On the right side of the forsythia are daylilies, more lunaria, and sedum spectibile, all of which need more sun than they are getting even yet! They all get morning sun, to a certain extent. :-(
The house and a Heritage Birch are to the northeast and east.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.