The Tree of Enchantment ( Weeping Pussy Willow)

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

HI!
I just went to Lowe's and brought this tree I have no idea what to do with it what I would like to know if it will grow indoors or do you have to plant outside?
I am into African Voilets and house plants but I just loved the tree and so I brought it. What do you think will it live or die I do live in a house but I rent so I don't want to put it here can you Help
Kim aka (Dimmer)

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You need to Dmail with levilyla; she just went through what you are now into.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/576970/

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

The short answer is that all willows need bright sunlight. Even if you have to plant it in a container, put it outside during the growing season.

Guy S.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I bought a TLC Weeping PussyWillow & planted in it my yard, but I did not know that they require lots of water.... It was placed in a higher spot in my yard where the water drained too quickly - we had a drought & it went bye bye. They like a moist location!
Julie

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd plant it somewhere out of sight (e.g. at the local landfill), after a few years they get to be ugly mop-heads full of unsightly dead twigs. Bear in mind too it'll never get significantly taller than it is now, as all the branches just grow straight down until they hit the soil and die off. Not an attractive plant.

Resin

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Gosh - I thought it was so attractive as a young sapling! Can this tree be pruned to control the shape & size? Some folks cut the weeping limbs on other trees, like Weeping Cherries - to create a neater appearance. Others allow them to "weep' naturally. Does the Willow have an alternate growth pattern?

I've never seen one without lots of dead stems. Try pruning out the thicker, older shoots as they become diseased and die out. Though the stubs left by the pruning tend to stay conspicuous on top of the mop-head. Also watch out for erect shoots from below the graft (if left, they would grow into a large tree).

"Does the Willow have an alternate growth pattern?" - not quite sure what you mean here; yes, the leaves and branching are alternate, not opposite, but that doesn't have a great effect on the appearance (and so are e.g. cherries alternate).

Resin

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I meant do they from new shoot out ofthe tops, or something other than the "normal" for weeping tree varieties.... Some manner of growth that makes them look unattractive, unlike the lovely weeping cherries. (not alternate or opposite limb growth) The mop head effect of the more mature trees does not sound very attractive - perhaps that is why they sell them as young saplings in the stores.
I know the regular pussy willow plants are aggressive growing plants that can fill up an area quite rapidly, especially in the presence of water.
Right now a stem with the pussy toes for floral arrangements runs about $3 a twig in the supermarket!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The more I hear about this "tree" the more I think I will just let it die naturally. .. and hopefully it won't take too long.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I don't know - those little Pussy toes are adorable... I find them irresistable! I visit a fairly large bush every Spring at a local cemetery to take some cuttings to force for a vase. The bush appears to be well behaved, but I am unsure if the staff does any pruning.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

$3 a stem!?!

Hmmm. Let me see. I have 5 good producing species at 50 twigs per, that's . . . . . . a lot of money!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

It could be a great investment!

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Lefty, They could be listed on the Board of Trade just under pork bellies. This is a real possibility, I see you with a corner on the market. And next, the dreaded insider trading.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Gosh, Don't mention this to Martha!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of my 10 yr old Salix caprea Curly Locks. it is planted on the east side of the berm created from dirt excavated for the largest of my two lily pools, at the base of the berm. But has never had curly branches, just weeping, so I would guess it is not true to name.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

That one looks like a normal Salix caprea 'Kilmarnock' to me - the usual shape and twiggyness, with a fair bit of dead wood (see what I mean above, about the mop-head!)

I'm not familiar with Salix caprea 'Curly Locks', but a google images search found a couple of pics - it looks less weeping, just grotesque, like someone with a really bad hair day. Not something I would want to buy, either.

Resin

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Donna - that is a lovely tree!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

well will the one I got at the Home Depot end up looking like Donnas'? If so, that is not a bad thing at all...maybe I should not transplant behind the landfill.

Anyone wanting to see some pics of a few more pussywillow species, you can go here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/583633/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Leftwood...what a wonderul collection..I adore the black one. I notice there are no hanginghomedepot ones however. HHMMMM.

Yeah, hmmmm . . . . is the weeping one male or female? The black pussywillow is male. A curious cross, if it could be done.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hanging down would have to be male right?

Silly Levilyla, I'm not touching that comment! (I'm laughing too hard!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not just any male, as I'm sure you are aware, just a male that is distracted temporarily.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.