Daylilies in Clay

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anybody know if a standard daylily will survive in clay without amending the soil? I see them growing wild but I don't know what the soil is like underneath those little feet. I want to plant some down on our bank toward the river but also don't want to waste them if they can't live in bright red clay. That terrain is way too steep and vast to try to amend it. They would get full morning sun. thanks, sharon

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sure,teateacher,they will also enrich the soil ,I am assuming you are refering to the orange,old fashion day lilly.They don't need much,but neither does any of the less costly.They will all enrich the soil.Mike

Thanks Mike... I planted them in the clay and then wondered whether I should have tried something different.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

The old fashioned orange daylily will grow and thrive in clay. I moved a bunch of them from the back yard to the ditch down front and did nothing special to the clay soil there. They bloomed last year and are coming up and multiplying this year. I don't think you can kill the things. Anybody want some??? Becky

Wow... my poor clay bogged day lilies have shoots coming out everywhere. I've done nothing to them except pulled a few weeds last week and it looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop of flowers, after only 3 months in the ground. I am SO excited! sr

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have lived here for 9 years and I have been able to grow anything in red clay. This man told me that I shouldn't plant gladiolus in clay that they wouldn't get enough oxygen. Two months later I had 50 of them blooming! He's a Ga native too LOL
I got some roses at big lots for $2!!!! and plopped them in, no amending either and they are beautiful.
We took out an above ground pool last spring, so there is sand , clay, etc and that is where I have been planting all my flowers. So far, so good.
Happy Gardening!
Susan

Raggedyann, that's very encouraging. I was getting a little worried for awhile because everything seemed to be stagnant... but I guess winter is a dormant season here and now things are starting to flourish. Keep planting! sr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.