Amaryllis New 2006 Introductions?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody,

I have been overwhelmed by all the beautiful Amaryllis pics on DG this year, and I would like to know what are the favorite 'NEWer Introduction' Amaryllis among DGers?

I have been out of touch on what's on the market this year, but I know Papilio's, greens, and whites, are getting more popular--what else? cybisters, maybe? Is there a trend?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks. t.

This is my first bloom this year (Jewel)--not a 2006 introduction but very sweet and fragrant.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

This year I am interested in the red (and deep rose) and white doubles and singles such as 'Elvas' , 'Philadelphia' , 'Toronto' , 'Ambiance' ,'Clown',
'Pizazz' to name a few.

As for species I'm fond of striatum, vittatum and I'm wild about papilio.

I finally got an oldie I've wanted for years, xJohnsonii or St. Joseph's Lily.

The cybister hybrids are attracting my interest too. "Lima' and 'Chico' of course and 'Jungle Star' 'Ruby Meyer' and 'Madame Butterfly'.

Not that I actually have many of those!

Robert.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I think the breeders seem to be concentrating on the doubles, although the cybisters are becoming more popular, and more readily available. Yellows seem to be the thing too.

I had Giraffe a couple of years ago and lost it to summer rot outdoors during a wet spell. I'd love to find it again.

This season my most impressive blooms have been Exotic Star, Cherry Nymph, Bianca, and Double Record. I've had a wonderful 5 months of blooms. Elvas is lighting up my office right now.

I still haven't got papilio, and I want to get Ruby Meyer (again), La Paz, Rosario and Amputo.

I think that the yellows are a great area for breeding, making the yellow more intense, adding veining, doubles, frilly edges and so on. Who knows what is in store.......I don't have a yellow yet, but will prolly get "Yellow Pioneer".

As I was saying, I'm currently focusing on the more unusual shapes that are coming out now, but the large-flowered "classics" are still a source of wonderment and enjoyment. They're all worth looking and you have to draw the line when space is limited. It's fun to rotate what you have aftera while, let things go for a time, then you discover you want it again and back it comes.

I've been looking on the web at what private and commercial breeders have in test gardens, and there are sooo many more colors and forms out there that we probably will never see in production commercially. It all has to do with what sells, plain and simple. "Red Lion" is still the biggest seller of all and is the most well-known cultivar. There are lots of other reds, but they aren't as in demand by the public or retailers.

Varieties come and go commercially because of that "what sells" imperative, and we're talking BIG sales. If a type only sells a few thousands, that is a reason to drop it from commercial production (major bulb companies.)

There is a small specialty-collectors market and that may be the saving grace of out of the way kinds until the masses start wanting the more out-of-the-way types like the cybisters. We may see 'Lima' stocked at every Wal-Mart some day!

Robert.

Denver, CO

I must make the note that it is extremely easy to hybridize them at home. You just have to play roulette and see which ones are compatible. I just don't fancy them enough to accomodate all of the little plants!

Why not a 'Robert's Gold?'

K. James

Oh, I've done the hit-or-miss hybridizing. Just cross this ripe pollen to that ripe pistil willy-nilly and yes I too had tons of babies that were "an issue" (we'll say.)

But I love making more plants more than anything!

"Robert's Gold"? Yeah, I can see that........yeah............

Robert.

Denver, CO

Any flowers from your little ones, or did you get tired of what looks like a giant turf area indoors, and send them packing?

I got lots of blooms at about 2 yrs. old. They were small blooms on small plants and looked like mini-dwarves though all were from large hybrids.

What did it was the poor care they got. I neglected them the summer after they were planted. I didn't always water them regularly (ahem) and they were in very small pots which weren't even filled all the way with soil. So with all that, a large percentage bloomed. I was surprised and delighted!

Oh, and I had to let them all freeze the next winter.......sad but true.

Robert.

Denver, CO

I'm going to put some outside just to try it.
Stressing things is such a wonderful way to get them to bloom.

"Bloom, or you're getting composted!"
"No."
"Allright, let's go..."

The flower is to be found growing out of the side of the compost bin slats, upon which the merciful gardener pots up and cares for yet another un-florifrous plant that takes up space...

I think if they are planted deep, mulched, and kept from being water-logged, you'll have some success. Planting in a protected and/or warm microclimate is a great help. Near asphalt, brick, stone (!) and such that absorb heat in the day and release it at night really makes a difference.
Keep those necks dry.

I plan to mound up the soil a bit on the Hippis and especially the Crinums to keep the neck from being cut down so deeply. I'm considering ways to reduce the amount of rain that hits their beds. A thick layer of leaves would help, but that can also keep the moisture from evaporating too, so, I guess it'll have to be moved back if things get too wet. Not a big deal (I hope!)

Robert.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 11:15 PM

Denver, CO

We have dry winters, which is good for the Frittilaria, palms, Zantedeschia, etc. around this place...

I thought I'd rid myself of most of them, but seven or so haunt me yet... that should be six tries at Hippeastrum overwintering on CO.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.